The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Small debate about Abilities/Powers

Eden · 3 · 2127

Offline Eden

• View Profile
I have a question about abilities and powers not being approvable. Is there a reason why they are not? I would assume if someone possesses a power or ability that greatly affects a series in a broad spectrum, shouldn't it be allowed to be approved? Is there a way to make exceptions so that people who enjoy powers or abilities that fit the description can build fanlistings for such (and join) with significant proof? For example:

The Geass ability in Code Geass. The Geass ability is used by several characters, each being different to each user depending on personality. The power of Geass greatly influences/affects the series as a whole as well as the characters who posses it. I see this as a very approvable subject and I'm sure there are fans of this ability. I believe Character fanlistings cover their individual abilities and powers, but that is just as a character whole. What about the concept itself since the subject is a much broader concept that it's a subject all it's own?

My counter example could be this: An unapprovable ability is the ability of becoming a Super Saiyan (in Dragonball Z) since this ability is held by the Saiyan race. Although significant, it's restricted to a specific race and specific races are not approvable (I assume) and saying you are a fan of super saiyans means you are a fan of that race. I think the above example is much more broad and can hold it's own.

There are many series with significant abilities or powers that greatly influence a storyline in Anime/Manga, so I wanted to know the reasoning behind the rule? Suppose with applying for an ability or power, the person applying must provide examples so the concept is not misused. The approval could be case-by-case basis, Much like items and locations, they need to have an important significance to the series (such as Utena's sword in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Pokeballs in Pokemon). If abilities or powers can be seen as significant to a series, why can't they be approved as well?

I am aware we are allowed to build fanlistings for whatever we want regardless of approval by someone, but it'd be very nice if there was a chance to build things that are possible to be built and have them listed so others can join and enjoy them, as well as affiliate with anyone who might feel the same. Is there any possible room for reconsideration on any of these old rules to be seen with new eyes?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:37:29 PM by Mitzrael »

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
The example that you give as what could be considered an approvable ability speaks volumes to me about why powers and abilities are not approvable.

The Geass ability is used by several characters, each being different to each user depending on personality.

So this ability affects each character differently - which means that the ability itself is not what you are a fan of, but how the individual character utilizes that ability. Therefore, the ability is covered under each character's fanlisting.

An unapprovable ability is the ability of becoming a Super Saiyan (in Dragonball Z) since this ability is held by the Saiyan race. Although significant, it's restricted to a specific race and specific races are not approvable (I assume) and saying you are a fan of super saiyans means you are a fan of that race

If a power is held by an entire race, then it is a part of the racial characteristics. While specific races are not approvable, once again, any individual character who is approved and who is of the specific race will also be a user of the power is question, no? So then that power would be part of what makes you a fan of the character.

Suppose with applying for an ability or power, the person applying must provide examples so the concept is not misused.

That's the thing - powers and abilities are concepts. There is nothing tangible there, there is nothing that you can truly point out as being what makes the concept specific and concrete. It isn't like an item, or location, which is there and tangible. With a power or ability, it is either something you are born with (part of the character) or something that you learn or aquire (becoming part of the character). Approving a power is no different than say, approving the ability to ride a bike, or the ability to solve REALLLY HARD mathematical equations. Both could have a meaningful impact on a character or series, but it isn't something that can be defined by a set... uh, definition.

I think that the enjoyment of a power or ability is the enjoyment of the character or series as a whole (I mean - do you know anyone who likes the Geass ability but hates the series?) and as such does not need to be approvable.

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
Just to add on to Wife's already awesome explanation, I would say a major problem with approving abilities/powers is the subjectivity involved as well. What might be seen as hugely important to a series to one does not necessarily translate to everyone else. I may think Luffy's Gear Second in One Piece is a defining ability to the series, but that doesn't mean you, or anyone else for that matter, agree, and that ability belongs to Luffy and is representative of him as a character.

As you, yourself, said, you are free to build fanlistings on your own, without TAFL approval, and there's even the Taboo Network, which approves things that TAFL/TFL will not. We currently have no plans to create an abilities/powers category and I don't foresee that changing anytime in the near future.
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion