The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Free FTP Program for Mac?

rika24 · 9 · 2531

Offline rika24

• FMA, One Piece, Flame of Recca,
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rikafire.fifteenth-moon.net

yes i'm posting this kind of question again lol. My PC died... again.

so after a while with no computer (my poor Charmander FL sat with no layout for so long :() my aunt and uncle bought me an imac as an early graduation gift (i graduate from college in December!) i am in need of recommendations for a good (and safe) free FTP program so i can update my sites again

and would anyone know a way to play wmv files on a mac? (i hate QuickTime, so really i need a replacement for that one entirely)

Offline Mayumi

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • Mirror the Soul

I'm not sure any free ones but the one I use is Transmit. And it's paid. ;-; But it's very good app for the Mac. I currently use it since I use a Macbook. And for playing vmv, you can use VLC Media Player. ^_^

PS: Welcome to the Macverse. XD;

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:54:37 PM by Mayumi »

Offline rika24

• View Profile

i downloaded filezilla and tried to install, but my mac keeps blocking it. i downloaded classicFTP but it never downloaded the contents of the folders, so i'm thinking of uninstalling it.

as for video players. i have been using VLC and it works great. however, because my imac has no dvd rom drive (why not for that insane price?). i got the LG external dvd burner but i can't play dvds. it plays up to the dvd menu but after i hit play it crashes, no matter if i'm using the preinstalled dvd player or VLC. anyone know why or have a better recommendation for an external dvd player with burning ability?

*sigh* i miss my PC more than ever now. everything worked fine on my PC (i do plan on getting a new hard drive because i really need my PC back. i hate not being able to connect my Nook HD to a computer and Calibe)

Offline Mayumi

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • Mirror the Soul

No DVD Rom drive? You do have the DVD player installed in your Mac right? It should detect the DVD as soon as you insert it. But, if you still get problems, I seriously suggest you make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. o_o They should check to see. Oh and some apps won't work unless you get it directly for the App Store on your Mac. That's why I'm guessing your Mac is blocking it. Happened to me a few times ;-;

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:23:21 AM by Mayumi »

Offline rika24

• View Profile

there's no dvd/optical drive built into the imac. in order to use dvds, cds, and to install programs using discs (like CS6) i had to buy an external DVD drive. it worked for installing software and opening data discs, but when i try to play any movies it almost always crashes, no matter which media player i use :(

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:00:24 AM by Rika24 »

Offline Mayumi

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • Mirror the Soul

there's no dvd/optical drive built into the imac. in order to use dvds, cds, and to install programs using discs (like CS6) i had to buy an external DVD drive. it worked for installing software and opening data discs, but when i try to play any movies it almost always crashes, no matter which media player i use :(

Then, yeah. You're gonna have to tell Apple about it. :/ This is really weird.

Offline rika24

• View Profile

do you mean it's weird because of there not being a dvd drive? because that's just how its made (i have the imac which is really thin)

Offline Mayumi

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • Mirror the Soul

do you mean it's weird because of there not being a dvd drive? because that's just how its made (i have the imac which is really thin)

Oh, I've heard that the new ones don't get one :( That's why I think it's weird. But then again, it's Apple right? So that was a bad idea that your aunt and uncle get you the new ones :/ I know it was a surprise but you really should have went with them to pick the one you see looks good XD;;

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:43:45 PM by Mayumi »