The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Naming Issues

Offline Carolyn

• Web design, fanlistings, Bleach,
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hanabie.net
Okay, this question has sort of been eating at me for a while. There's tons of inconsistencies not only between each different category when it comes to Death Note fanlistings, but even in the individual categories! So I figured that, rather than posting about it in each category, I'd make a general post here.

Death Note's kind of a complicated series, what with the multiple aliases and romanized vs english spelling of things, and there's a lot of inconsistencies regarding that. Take the following three cases for example:

Real name - Main Alias - Romanized Main Alias - Other Aliases - How they are listed in the Characters category
Lawliet, L - L - Eru - Ryuuzaki, Ryuga Hideki - L
Keehl, Mihael - Mello - Mero - M - Keehl, Mihael/Mero (Mello)
River, Nate - Near - Nia - N - River, Nate/Nia (Near)
Yagami Light - Yagami Light - Yagami Raito - L, 2nd L, Kira - Yagami Raito (Light)
Jeevas, Mail - Matt - Matto - n/a - Matt

How would those be listed? They're all so different and there are so many versions. Right now, some categories list Near as River, Nate / Nia (Near) while also listing L as just L, and Yagami Light as Yagami Raito (Light). It seems like other aliases aren't the problem, but listing their full names, main aliases and romanized main aliases is scattered. Also, when it comes to relationships and rivalries, there are infinite combinations of those four types of names.

Another issue is with the order of aliases and real names. For example:

Real name - Main Alias
Bullook, Halle - Lidner, Halle
River, Nate - Near

That's how they're set up, but when they're listed, Halle's alias comes before her real name, whereas Near's real name comes before his alias.

Not only all of that, but there's an issue with spoilers. It can be argued that listing Mello and Near's real names are sort of spoilers to those who haven't seen past Episode 29, or even just causing confusion because they're never addressed as such and those names are only mentioned very briefly.

Anyways, I thought I'd bring this issue up cause it's been eating away at me a bit. I'm not sure how any of the staff want to sync it with other series, but it seems like some order is needed when it comes to listing them. I hope this made sense! It's late, but I think all my facts are straight ^__^;; If this should be moved to Senior Staff or some other forum, I apologize, but this seemed like a logical place to put it. Thanks in advance! I'd be more than happy to help if needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 02:46:09 AM by DNCarolyn »
[font=\"Impact\"][color=\"#fd4602\"][color=\"#fd4602\"]♡[/color] N E L I E L @ ryuuku.net[/color][/font][/size] [color=\"black\"]

OTPin sane we trust ♡ [url=\"htt

Offline Buruma

• TAFL Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Buruma Network
[quote name='DNCarolyn' post='208355' date='Jul 17 2007, 02:20 AM']How would those be listed? They're all so different and there are so many versions. Right now, some categories list Near as River, Nate / Nia (Near) while also listing L as just L, and Yagami Light as Yagami Raito (Light).[/quote]

Personally, I think L and Yagami Raito (Light) should continue to be listed without aliases. It's much less confusing that way, especially since L uses four or more.

[quote name='DNCarolyn' post='208355' date='Jul 17 2007, 02:20 AM']Not only all of that, but there's an issue with spoilers. It can be argued that listing Mello and Near's real names are sort of spoilers to those who haven't seen past Episode 29, or even just causing confusion because they're never addressed as such and those names are only mentioned very briefly.[/quote]

Near and Mello's real names aren't exactly spoilers, both names are mentioned multiple times throughout the manga. If anything, L's last name would be a spoiler since it's only mentioned once in volume 13.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:21:41 AM by buruma »

Offline Carolyn

• Web design, fanlistings, Bleach,
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hanabie.net
[quote name='buruma' post='208371' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:55 AM']Personally, I think L and Yagami Raito (Light) should continue to be listed without aliases. It's much less confusing that way, especially since L uses four or more.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with that, but what about the romanized version? Near, Mello and Light all have the romanized versions of their names listed, but L doesn't have "Eru" mentioned at all.

[quote name='buruma' post='208371' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:55 AM']Near and Mello's real names aren't exactly spoilers, both names are mentioned multiple times throughout the manga. If anything, L's last name would be a spoiler since it's only mentioned once in volume 13.[/quote]

Well, in the anime, Mello and Near's last names are only mentioned one or two times each, but supposing I agree and their full names should be listed, shouldn't L and Matt's full names be listed also?
[font=\"Impact\"][color=\"#fd4602\"][color=\"#fd4602\"]♡[/color] N E L I E L @ ryuuku.net[/color][/font][/size] [color=\"black\"]

OTPin sane we trust ♡ [url=\"htt

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
I tend to agree with Buruma about the way L and Raito (Light) are listed. Adding in all their alias really isn't necessary - things get so cluttered then, especially when most of the fans knows they used those names anyway. Common knowledge of the Death Note name!swap extravaganza is rampant throughout the fandom - specifically concerning L and Raito.

And I also agree that Near and Mello's names aren't spoilers anymore, just because the anime finished airing. Their names have been known to people who read the manga for a very long time now. :) Even L's name, at this point could probably be put up - but since it's released in Volume 13 (a bonus) that some people didn't get, as Buruma said, it's a little more spoilery, which is probably why it wasn't listed originally.

I do see what you're saying about consistencies between categories though. :)

ETA; Haha, seems we posted at the same time. :D Concerning the romanized version of L's name - I don't think that's necessary since it's just... a letter. ^^; But that's just me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:43:14 PM by Marie »
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion