The Anime Fanlistings Network > General Questions and Discussion

Collectors

(1/3) > >>

Isa:
After searching through 8 pages to see if this was answered I got tired so I'm sorry if this has already been asked  :D

Is a collector someone who applies for fanlisting for the sake of applying? How does a staffer determine a collector?

I saw a lot of people saying "No collectors" in adoption threads and I got scared cause I assumed it was a person who applied for a lot of fanlistings.

I asked myself if I was a collector. I'll explain why:

Recently I've been applying for a lot of fanlistings, especially yaoi related fanlistings. I've read hundreds of yaoi manga (not exaggerating) and there are many series and relationships that I love but I see no fanlistings for and because I love them so I want to create the fanlisting because they deserve to have one. So I wrote a list and I realized the list was really long and I thought I was being too selfish. However they're not well known so I don't really see anyone creating them and plus I wanted to create the fanlistings for the subjects I love :wub: (Am I being greedy here?)

The same goes with non adult series, I read far too much manga and I fall in love with these not so popular manga and I have the desire to create a fanlisting for it.
You see all this leads to a lot of applications though I always keep track so I don't break the rules and I always try my best in taking care of them.

So am I collector because I apply for many fanlistings? (All which I love dearly, I see no point in applying for something you don't love and its unfair to those who actually are fans of the subject)
Thanks for answering my questions!! :wub:

Mitzrael:
In my opinion, collectors are people who apply for listings based on popularity of the subject, number of fans (if it's an adoption) and the worst thing of all, regardless of being a fan OR having even tried having/had any previous interest in the subject.

Basically, they apply and/or get approved for listings just to boast and become more 'popular' themselves. popularity/members hunters

It really is a matter of how one feels about it though, at times I still feel like a hog about listings related to Bokura no Oukoku or Vampire Knight but the first one isn't even that 'popular' and nobody applies for anything related to it xD;;; and the second truly became 'big' by the time the anime series came out which was a long long long time after the manga became itself more influent in the manga world I believe o:

EDIT/ I came back to make a clarification XD;

This by no means mean that people owning listing with thousands of member are automatically called 'collectors' but, most of the time it's easy to figure out if there's some kind of trend or pattern :D

Yamila:
Pretty much what Mitzie has said :3

In addition, there are some people who apply for characters/relationships/songs, just because they love the series they are from, but not the subjects specifically. D: I mean, of course that if you love a series deeply, you will also love tons of things from it (LOL, I own 5 Gundam 00 fanlistings xD 2 OTPs, 2 characters, and a song that I love with all of my heart :D), but when you apply just for the sake of "owning a fl of something from the series", there you are a collector :wub:

Also xD I believe that if people don't bother applying for those subjects, then you aren't a hog :''3

As long as you really love the character, the relationship, etc. you are building the fl for, you give it all to make justice for it and you feel really happy of owning it, no one can call you a collector, and you shouldn't worry about it. :wub:

Shalott:
In my opinion - if you are applying purely based on popularity or potential popularity, then you're a collector. If you apply for 7001235465 fanlistings in the same series regardless of whether or not you like the subject, then you're a collector. If a fanlisting is placed for adoption and suddenly this fanlisting is "omg your biggest wishlister EVAR" when no one has ever heard you mention the subject before, then you might (just might) be a collector.

It's usual for people who have just discovered fanlistings to get excited and apply for quite a few subjects - often in the same category or series. There is nothing wrong with that, and I doubt there is anyone here who didn't do the same thing when they first started out.

Likewise, it's also not strange to see one person with quite a few fanlistings for, no offense intended, less popular subjects. If there is something you want to build and it isn't getting applied for by all means, go for it! When it comes down to it, I think collectors are the people who are only in it for the recognition owning "popular" or large fanlistings can bring them.

Hakka:
Basically what Mitzrael and Yamilla already said.

To me there are
1) collectors interested in owning big fanlistings (so they apply for every fl with toons of members or for subjects they know they'd get toons of members)
2) collectors interested in owning a series related fanlistings (like... I don't know... owning all the minor characters in One Piece just because they can't get their hands on the series or on the Straw Hats without really love these little characters)
3) collectors who can be called hoggers. I'm not at all against the "positive" hoggers, like "nobody applied before for this series and related, so I open all and keep for myself" -if you're a owner who opens/adopt a lot of fanlisting in a short time, this doesn't actually mean you're a collector!-, but the are people who seriously hog famous series (I'm not refering specifically to manga but generally to movies and similar too  :wub: ) and that hurts all the other series' fans. :D

I can also point you to the same topic at TFL: there the matter took three pages. :wub:

[quote name='Shalott' post='272871' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:20 AM']It's usual for people who have just discovered fanlistings to get excited and apply for quite a few subjects - often in the same category or series. There is nothing wrong with that, and I doubt there is anyone here who didn't do the same thing when they first started out.[/quote]
Ditto!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version