The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

About Fanstuff

Tess · 4 · 1024

Offline Tess

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://rusalka.in
Apologies if this has been asked before - I looked back several pages, but I could've missed it!

I was browsing through Fanstuff more fanlistings to join, and was severely confused by the markup. Call me a TFL Baby, but when I tried to find Yaoi (in Fanfiction or FanArt form, it didn't matter to me), I assumed there would be "Genres" (like in the Adult category) or it would be listed under "General", but instead I found the fanlisting under Fanfiction, after browsing for long moments confused. I'm not 100% knowledgeable about Anime/Manga, but I do know quite a lot, and I was still so confused, I felt like a newbie or something browsing the category! :heart:

I'm wondering - asking, if you will - why this markup was chosen, and if in the future at some point a less confusing category structure will be used? I know it's not a necessity, and I did end up finding everything, but if it was confusing to me, somebody who has been with fanlistings (much less TFL/TAFL) for several years, I can't imagine how it would be someone who hasn't been in the fanlisting community for very long. ^_^

ETA: (since I can't reply directly) No, no - I was asking why it wasn't listed under it's own category (e.g. Genres, General, etc.), as it took me a while to actually find the fanlisting. What I was asking was: why are the fanlistings listed the way they are?

Thanks for answering, Jackie and Mitzrael! B) My question (or something) was answered. :yahoo:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:28:31 AM by Tess »

Offline Jackie

• TAFL Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://psyche.nu/
I'm not sure I understand your question.  "Yaoi" IS a genre, at least as it's used in TAFL.  If you want to join the fanlisting for the yaoi genre as a whole (no matter the medium), it's in Adult > Genres.  It's listed under Adult because it covers sexually explicit material.

If you want to join a fanlisting for yaoi fanfiction only, then it's listed in Fanstuff > Fanfiction > Anime/Manga Fanfiction: Yaoi.  If you want to join a fanlisting for yaoi douijnshi only, it's Fanstuff > Doujinshi > Anime/Manga Doujinshi: Yaoi.  And so forth.  The "yaoi" fanlistings (and other genre fanlistings) in Fanstuff only cover whatever medium they're listed under (e.g., fanfiction or doujinshi).
Jackie - Senior Staffer - Characters 0-M & N-Z - Movies/OVAs - General
The Fluffy Squirrel

Offline Jackie

• TAFL Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://psyche.nu/
I'm still not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking why there isn't a general yaoi fanlisting in Fanstuff that covers all yaoi fanworks (i.e., one fanlisting to cover doujinshi, fanfiction, fanart, fanvideos, etc.)?  If so, this is because there's already a general yaoi fanlisting, which is listed under Adult > Genres.  It covers original yaoi series as well as yaoi fanworks. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:36:56 PM by Jackie »
Jackie - Senior Staffer - Characters 0-M & N-Z - Movies/OVAs - General
The Fluffy Squirrel

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
[quote name='Tess' post='267230' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:01 PM']ETA: (since I can't reply directly) No, no - I was asking why it wasn't listed under it's own category (e.g. Genres, General, etc.), as it took me a while to actually find the fanlisting. What I was asking was: why are the fanlistings listed the way they are?[/quote]I think your question was already correctly answered by Jackie's first reply but, in regards to as why listings such as Yaoi Doujinshi are listed under Doujinshi instead of General or Genres at the Fanstuff category ithat would be because 'Doujinshi' is the main subject at hand while the 'Yaoi' part is to obviously emphasize that focus onto only this specific genre within the fanwork expression known as Doujinshis.

I understand your point when saying it would be handy to have them listed under a subcategory such as Fanstuff > General > Yaoi Doujinshi, Yaoi Fanfiction, etc. but as I pointed out the main idea behind those subjects is still Fanworks expression (so their parent categories are indeed Doujinshi, Fanfiction, etc respectively) and having them listed on a subcategory of their own, within Fanstuff, would somehow mislead and/or twist the focus they are intended to have. Also, those specialized and more general listings are always listed with the prefix Anime/Manga to keep them at the top of their respective category which is for practical purposes on both the visitor and staffer ends.  ^_^
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]