The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Asian dramas!

Sarah · 26 · 2391

Offline Emcy

• Formally known as Emcy from peti
    • View Profile
    • http://cuite.org/
I know that there are a whole lot of dramas based off anime and manga and I know that there are some people who completely fawn over them but I'm just wondering if anybody has any favorites that they could recommend me? Cause I wanna try watching a couple!

I mean, I've only ever seen live action movies for Lovely Complex (totally hilarious and round-about if you haven't watched it) and, of course, Kamikaze Girls!

What are your favorites and maybe ramble about why you like them so much? =3 I only know of a couple that were made into dramas ...

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
Hmmm... lately I've only watched Nobuta wo Produce and Kami no Shizuku. Both were amazing and alsdkhasdhaslkdhas KAME.  :ph34r: :heart:  I am very much looking forward to the adaption of Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge.  :dance:

Offline dragoneyes

• View Profile
    • http://dragon-nest.net/
All right...I could I miss this topic is behind my understanding! :dance:  
*takes out the list of J/K/T-dramas stocked in her external hard disk* let's see...

Akihabara@Deep
This drama is FUN, totally and completely FUN. Kind of creepy sometimes, but there is Ikuta Toma that plays the role of one of the otaku protagonists and he's just so cute! XD

Bloody Monday
It's a damn good action/suspence drama, I suggest you watch it when you've a lot of free time because if you start, you'll stop watching just when you've gone through all the episodes. Not to mention the protagonist and his best friend are kind of slashy *grin*
+++ Narimiya Hiroki plays one of the bad guys ♥ ♥ ♥ (noo...one can totally not understand that he's one of my favourite J-actors...)

Brown Sugar Macchiato
This actually is a T-drama...and whoever thought of the scrip was totally high on something good! XD
It's probably one of the dramas that made me laugh most out of all the (considerable number of) dramas I've watched so far.

Gokusen
All 3 seasons. Fun, fun, fun, again fun! Whoever read the manga/watched the anime knows what I'm talking about, and Nakama Yukie (who plays Yankumi) is a wonderfull actress. Also in all the series there the usually staff of JE bishies: Matsumoto Jun (people who watched Hana Yori Dango, yup I'm talking about Domyoji), Oguri Shun (people who watched both Hana Yori Dango and Hanazakari no Kimi Tachi E, yup, I'm taling about Hanazawa and Sano) and Narimiya Hiroki (again, bless him) in the first one; Kamenashi Kazuya (people who watched Nobuta wo Produce, yup I'm talking about Shuji) and Akanishi Jin; and Takaki Yuya (who's part of the Hey! Say! JUMP).

About HanaKimi and HanaYori I won't say anything else, because I see a lot of people already watched them, good girls XD *pats around*

Kimi wa Pet
For certain reasons I like the drama better than the manga, for certain other I like the manga better than the drama. Anyway it's funny to watch, and again...Matsumoto Jun roaming around and being all cute and bla bla bla (so out of character for him, but whatever, lol XD).

Kisarazu Cat's Eye
Pure comedy, so funny you can't stop laughing for more than 5 minutes before they again try to make you strangle yourself by excessive laughing. There is Sakura Sho (from Arashi) playing one of the protagonists and being all cute, so a lot of ♥ ♥ ♥, plus slightly slashy parts now and then so another ♥ for it.

Maou
One of the best dramas I've ever watched. Extremely deep and extremely tragical, if you are willing to watch it, I suggest you to get LOTS of tissues because you'll need them, I assure you. The protagonist is played by Ikuta Toma and the antagonist by Ohno Satoshi (from Arashi) and...well, as always Japanese people likes to mess up with your mind so much that in the end you don't really know who's right and who's wrong anymore...*sobs*

Miss No Good
Again a T-drama, and again a hilariously destructive one! It's basically a love comedy, a lot of comedy, slight presence of love...and the female protagonist is...totally nuts! She gives names to the objects (apparently the male protagonist's hairdrier gets the name Shu Shu) and her mind is constantly between a cloud and a star.

My Boss My Hero
Again bless the JE for it's existence because otherwise we woulnd have Nagase Tomoya who plays the protagonist of this drama. This is another drama which is totally nuts...the plot goes along this lines: Sakaki Makio (27-years old and son of a clan of Yakuza) is forced by his father to go back to high school because he's so stupid and ingnorant that he can't do even basic math and can't even haggle good deals with other Yakuza clans when he's like that. That's the basic...and then the whole thing just degenerates by itself...*grin*

Again, about Nobuta wo Produce I'll refrain from saying anything because I see a lot of people watched it (and by the way, it's one of my favourite drama ever, just to point out XD).

Nodame Cantabile
Someone at this point might have noticed that I like cracky dramas...anyway, if you still have some doubts, there is always this drama to watch and make you change your mind about me *whistles*

Orange Days
I'll say just one thing: this drama is beautiful. I usually don't like plain romance (I'd rather have it spiced up with a bit of comedy, otherwise it gets boring), but this one was so deep that I couldn't not love it. The female protagonist is very strong and full of bitterness and rage because it's just plain not-fair that she's becoming deaf though she loved to play the violin so much. It's very unusual that a female protagonist of a romance drama gets to be such a human and round character, usually they tend to be somewhat silly, but she's strong, indipendant, angry with her fate and positively impertinent. They're all emotions that anyone in her place would feel and she's the guts to show them out aloud to the whole world.

Ryusei no Kizuna
Again, one of my favourite dramas. Though it isn't as deep as Maou, it still has a considerable deth in it. It binds together suspance, comedy and drama in a fluent mix that keep you attached in front of your monitor. The story talks about three siblings (two brothers played by Ninomiya Kazunari and Nishikido Ryo, and a sister, played by Toda Erika) whose parents gets murdered while they were kids, and promise each other that they'd find and kill the murderer themselves once they grew up.

Stand Up!!
Crack, crack, crack, and again crack! Some bits of human drama but their weight is all easied up by the comedy side of the show.
And this time we have a LOT of good actors playing in it, actually all the four male protagonists: Ninomiya Kazunari, Yamashita Tomohisa, Narimiya Hiroki and Oguri Shun.

The Quiz Show
Both the seasons. The first one is my personal favourite, but the second one is also good. It's very creepy and evilly disturbing which make it one of my fav as well. It's difficult to describe its peculiar atmosphere, the only suggestion that I can give is to watch it.
The first season has 30-minutes long episodes, so it goes by fairly quickly.

Uta no Onii-san
Again, pure comedy. This drama is extremely peculiar because instead of underlining the usual concept of "if you keep trying hard, something will come out of it", the story actually starts when the protagonist, after "trying hard to become a star with his group", gets dumped by said group and is forced to find another job, getting by accident to become the "Uta no Onii-san" (Singing Brother) of a child show.

Yamada Taro Monogatari
Again, pure comedy. It's strange that I like this drama so much because it doesn't really have something that makes me think "oh, I like it for that reason!". It's probably the whole that gets to me so much. It's very funny and very cute, and the main protagonist is an extremely sweet boy. Again, for the JE-loving ladies, we have two actors taken directly from Arashi: Ninomiya Kazunari and Sakurai Sho.

Yasashii Jikan
Another drama in which I suggest to take tissues out. The plot is somewhat extremely slowly paced but every episode is full of emotion and at least wets your eyes.

Zeni Geba
This one has strong themes and I don't suggest it to anyone who's searching for something light to watch. It's part of my top-3 favourite dramas ever and it's so lovely disturbing that though I want to watch it again I'm avoiding to do so because otherwise I know I'll fall again into depression.
There is also one of my favourite quotes ever (which I won't write because, ehy, it's from the last episode XD).

And with this I think I've finished the list of my "dramas that I like at least to the point to stock them and re-watch them several times".
XD and sorry for taking up so much space in the thread :ph34r:
[color=\"#006400\"]~This dragon wish you the best luck[/color]

[color=\"#800080\"]~ You're welcome to look inside my soul[/color]

~ [color=\"darkred\"]I love my family ♥ *squizes twin sister, sister and co-neuron*[/color]

Fan of me?

Offline Nami

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eternal-dream.com/
The last drama I watched was Hana Yori Dango - I watched it because of Shun Oguri <3 But it was pretty cool (even though I didn't read it's manga/anime) .. and I watched only first season.

Before that I watched Tokyo Dogs - that's my favourite drama! <3 It was really fun (and serious too :P) and I love Shun's character. (Yeah, he played in this drama too xD)

And I watched Detective Conan dramas (is it a drama? or is it more like live action movie?). Shun played Shinichi in the first two "dramas" and I was really sad when I heard that the new DC drama is without him ˘˘ (but the new Shinichi doesn't look that bad at all ;D). I can't wait too see it *_*
Harry: "How dare you stand where he stood! Tell them how it happened that night. How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"

Offline Cozza

• 07 Ghost, Naruto, One Piece, Gia
    • View Profile
    • http://jellyfishing.org
I'm not usually one for Asian dramas, but omgosh, they're making a live adaptation of Ouran! I will definitely be watching. o3o

Offline Eden

• View Profile
I don't watch Asian anything. I don't know if this is considered a drama, but I'm trying to watch Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon because I wanted to see the live action version of it. I was watching it like two years ago then I couldn't watch anymore for some reason, then I'm trying to find it again. I don't remember where I left off so I'm just watching it all over again.  B)

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
I don't watch Asian anything. I don't know if this is considered a drama, but I'm trying to watch Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon because I wanted to see the live action version of it. I was watching it like two years ago then I couldn't watch anymore for some reason, then I'm trying to find it again. I don't remember where I left off so I'm just watching it all over again.  B)

Ahh... I am assuming you purposely excluded anime from the "Asian anything"?  :sweatdrop: For me personally, nothing has stood out lately as a must-watch, but I am interested in Zenkai Girl and the new HanaKimi live action. I will probably check out the first episodes at least.  :lol:

Offline Eden

• View Profile

Ahh... I am assuming you purposely excluded anime from the "Asian anything"?  :sweatdrop: For me personally, nothing has stood out lately as a must-watch, but I am interested in Zenkai Girl and the new HanaKimi live action. I will probably check out the first episodes at least.  :lol:

Well not necessarily... I stopped watching anime a long time ago (actively participating in new series and such). I just re-watch my old nostalgic series once in a while because they are all shows I grew up with (Sailor Moon being a major childhood impact), but as for being actively involved in Asian pop culture, I'm not into it anymore. I just wanted to see the live action version of a show that used to be my life as a child. I'll never grow out of the shows that impacted me while growing up but I can't get into the whole anime/manga/asian stuff anymore. I just feel like I grew out of it. :( But watching everything I once cherished (and still do) makes me feel like a little kid again. ^^; PGSM is really great!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:10:48 PM by Eden »

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
back in topic~ :D

How come NOBODY has mentioned Autumn in My Heart, Summer Scent, Spring Waltz and my absolute favorite Winter Sonata?!!!

The amount of angst, the tears, the soap, the drama...OMG SO TOTALLY WORTH IT! (caps abuse sorry sorry!) anyway, I don't watch much JDrama if not at all because they don't air here and I'm lazy everybody knows that so I only keep up, or used to, with dubbed KDrama -even if sometimes it gets awkward rotfl~-

Which ones are you following/recommending for everybody else?   :dance:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:42:18 PM by Mitzrael »
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]

Offline Kisa

• View Profile
Actually as I type this I'm watching Personal Taste (episode 6) and it's pretty good. I'm also in the middle of Lie to Me. I want to get started with the kdrama Royal Family, but I'm afraid of stepping away from the usual romcoms.

Offline Nami

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eternal-dream.com/

I watched that drama! I didn't like it in the beginning but later I fall in love with it xD. I actually don't know how it ends (I forgot it :I) but I think that I didn't like the ending. And for some reason I didn't like that they all have brown hair when they are "normal".
Harry: "How dare you stand where he stood! Tell them how it happened that night. How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"