Other Stuff > Off-Topic Chit-Chat

Webdesign Survey!

(1/7) > >>

Sarah:
Hey hey hey everyone~ :x <33 Bringing you another survey today, this time related toooo.. Webdesign! Prompted by the small discussion we've had at the TAFL Survey thread, I thought it'd be nice to have some sort of Webdesign thread in general. <33 Again, lotsa questions to fill out because we all love memes. *nods* :heart:

00. How long have you been designing sites?

01. What was your first website? :P

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts? ♥
We all had to start pretty much from scratch, and looking back now, it's fun to see how one has improved, right? :D Feel free to skip this question if you can't get a hold of any old(er) layouts, though. <3 Also, fair warning, people might get blinded once I post mine. (cough)

03. ..and one of your latest layouts!
To compare with the above~ x3 Pimpage ahoy!

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! :help:
A certain structure of layouts or color choices maybe? Ehe~!

05. Any webtrends you really like?

06. Others you dislike?

07. Some of the elements you generally like using/seeing in layouts!
Vectors? Manga-coloring? Patterns? Gradients? Etc!

08. Your favorite color to work with?
...at this note, I just feel like mentioning that there should be more pink layouts out there. (cough)

09. Something you need to improve on?

10. When it comes down to it... do you prefer making the layout or coding it?

11. Name us some of your inspirations when designing!
Food? Magazines? Certain people? Something entirely different?

12. How long does it usually take you to design a layout?

13. What browser and screen resolution do you use?

14. Have you ever thought of going into the Webdesign branch job-wise?

15. Other graphics you enjoy making? (i.E. icons, wallpapers etc)

As always, feel free to add new questions as well! :)

Marie:
00. How lang have you been designing sites?
Since 2001, LOL. Wow. >>;

01. What was your first website?
Uhm, if I remember correctly, it was for a BSSM/Gundam Wing crossover RPG, lulz. I actually built it on Geocities, using their drag-and-drop editor. What the heck was that thing called? Man, I kinda wish I remember what it was called - I'd totally time-machine that thing to see what it looked like and what the plot was.

... not really. >>; My old designs are terrible and embarassing and argh - make me want to pull my hair out. Luffy was actually the first design I did in Paint Shop Pro before Photoshop! and it is, unfortunately, still up. plz to be killing me for letting him stay like that

Uhm. *ponders* The lastest designs I've done aren't exactly open to public view just yet, so I guess it would be the Final Fantasy fanlisting (with three skins) and the Venture Brothers fanlisting which is huge and breaks people's screens. /fails

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.

I actually really love when people focus on typography in their layout, all the more so after my last class on the subject. Interesting type design can really make a layout that much more powerful. To be honest, some of my favorite layouts are ones that focus on type, over brushes/textures/effects.

06. Others you dislike?
I have a hard time with insanely bright colors as it is (cause my eyes are lamers), but when people put light text on a light background, I'm done. You could have written the most beautiful dedication ever, and I won't read it, because I can't physically stand those colors. If I have to wear sunglasses just to read your page, something is wrong. :help:

I love it when people color manga. Also, I'm a sucker for animation, since I over use it myself and poorly. Lately, I've been really fond of Lightbox too. :x

I really like working with blues, but [color=\"#0099CC\"]this shade[/color], specifically, is my favorite. :)

Everything? Navigation. :heart: It is my mortal enemy.

Making it, easily, LOL. I have the most retarded luck with coding sometimes. Ever had a stylesheet that refused to change, even after you deleted it from your server? I HAVE.

I watch horror movies when I'm designing, LOL. :P It's totally weird, but they help me concentrate and... I don't know how to explain it other than that. Lately, it's been The Strangers and The Mist that I put in, but that's really only because there hasn't been anything good out.

Forever.

Firefox on 1280 x whateveritis. I dunno, but it's huge - I still design primarily on 800 x 600 though, just because I know, at least at work, that several people use it, lulz.

S'what I'm in school for, yep. Interactive Media and Web Design.

Icons are definitely lots of fun to make. I really wish I could make those nifty skins for Winamp and all that, but seeing as I don't actually use Winamp and I don't have nearly enough patience, I never got around to learning it. But I'm truly in awe of people that I can put in that type of time and effort, definitely.

Sarah:
*filling it out too, ehe~*

00. How long have you been designing sites?
Since summer 2004, I believe. Got my first fanlisting almost a year later, in May 2005! <3

01. What was your first website?
LOL, a fansite to the manga series Missile Happy. >>; It was v.v. lame and hosted on some freeserver. After that, I ran another general shoujo!series fansite and eventually even a graphics page. Come to think of it, I used to be on staff on quite a few graphic sites offering layouts etc. All of this during the one year after I had discovered HTML & PS and before I ran into TAFL, haha. Seems kinda unbelievable to me that back then someone wanted to use my layouts. People must have been desperate. >>;

LOL, here you go: My very first layout and another really old thing. >>;

The latest design would be the one for the boys, but that's not online yet, so.. hm. My current domain layout that went online not too long ago isn't actually that new either lala so I think it'd still be Sanji. I have so many layouts lying around that I made over the summer but never used (sigh) So still from this year are also Dreaming and Marie etc etc.

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls!
LOL, I'd say no, but I know I abuse the airbrush a lot so there are quite a few designs that turn out a little more dreamy than even intended, ahaha. I just really, really like soft & flowing colors. :)

Manga coloring! LOL, that's all I ever seem to do lately. >>; Plus yeah, animations = do want! <33

06. Others you dislike?
Hmm, this is actually tough. I was going to say something like, "Too small frames!" (like with iFrames and stuff), but even that I have seen people pull of quite nicely and I'm guilty of making the content too small too, lol so yeah. I actually also really like neon!layouts :help: I've once seen a strikingly red layout that others might have immediately shut down, but I somehow liked it, aha. I think the only thing that bothers me is when music automatically starts playing when I visit a site and there is no switch-off button or I can't find it. It drives me nuts. >>;

Patterns! It's something I suck at like woaaah, so it's always nice to see people use some pretty patterns in their layouts <3 <3

..you know, despite the fact I don't even need to think about this question since pink = best color ever, I don't even have that many pink layouts. *just noticed; ponders* I used to work with a lot of grey for some time though, and now I seem kinda stuck on orange. *fears for Hikaru~*

I need to stop killing 800x600 users, seriously, lol.

Making the layout. Always, always, always. /hates coding

I have certain songs that will inspire me again and again- seriously, I don't know how many layouts I've designed while listening to Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, LOL. /random~ Also, fashion magazines or mannequins in shop windows inspire me a lot too.

It really depends - I can finish layouts in one night or only a few hours if I have the right idea in my mind, but I've also spent weeks on single layouts cause they just wouldn't turn out right. (sigh)

Firefox and 1400 x 900, so pretty huge.

Not really, to be honest.  I have gotten paid for some of my works before (used to design pages for real estate companies etc even tho they sucked) and I can think of a few people who told me before to go into Webdesign, but.. personally, I don't think I'd be happy with it in the end. It's really just a creative outlet to me, and I don't think I work under pressure very well, haha. So it's nothing I'd consider for myself in the long-run.

Icons! Icons icons icons~ Apart from that, I used to do other stuff too (mainly in my early years, after I had just gotten into graphic design) but yeah.. nowadays it's just layouts and/or icons.

LOL, long post is long. PS:

[quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:P You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :x :heart: /shot

Marie:
[quote name='Sarah' post='270932' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM'][quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:help: You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :) :heart: /shot
[/quote]
Again with the food rambling. Just go eat something already! >>; Piratism was the only good part of that description, LOL. Goof.

Sarah:
[quote name='Marie' post='270933' date='Nov 20 2009, 07:20 PM'][quote name='Sarah' post='270932' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM'][quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:help: You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :) :heart: /shot
[/quote]
Again with the food rambling. Just go eat something already! >>; Piratism was the only good part of that description, LOL. Goof.
[/quote]
..it's not just food rambling. It's very profound associations that may or may not have to do with food candy. Difference. I figured. >>; Always the right word to appease you. /runs <3!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version