The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Webdesign Survey!

Sarah · 34 · 2862

Offline Amber

• TAFL Category Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://eien-melody.net
00. How long have you been designing sites?
Eh, at least using free layouts from other websites since late 2006.

01. What was your first website?
Mine was a lame Sailor Moon freewebs thing. I honestly don't even remember what it was about! XD;

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts?
This was designed after I started to learn how to play with CSS. Oddly enough, I still use coding for better style sheets (such as Eien-Melody.net).

03. ..and one of your latest layouts!
Heh, I'm not VERY good still to this day, but if you are ever so interested click me!

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
I think I have a tend for using CSS that has blue in it.

05. Any webtrends you really like?
I don't use programs that make layouts for you? LOL! None really.

06. Others you dislike?
Music player. :wub:

07. Some of the elements you generally like using/seeing in layouts!
I think fanart, colored manga images, and nicely done screen shots from DVDs (or BluRays now?).

08. Your favorite color to work with?
I think a balance between blue, white, and black a lot. I also like to use a lot of natural colors as well.

09. Something you need to improve on?
I personally think overall and try to develop something unique to myself. Though I think two major issues would be CSS and graphics.

10. When it comes down to it... do you prefer making the layout or coding it?
Coding...because I get so annoyed with making graphics! XD;

11. Name us some of your inspirations when designing!
I think Beth and Hakka.

12. How long does it usually take you to design a layout?
At least a week. :lol: I find it hard to code a new design and make the graphics anymore.

13. What browser and screen resolution do you use?
Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer. 1024x768 is mostly what I use, but I try not to extend any tables (or DIVs) past 700 in width.

14. Have you ever thought of going into the Webdesign branch job-wise?
First I'd want to take some web design classes so I can learn a lot more. I am not good enough on stand alone to ever make it that way. XD;

15. Other graphics you enjoy making?
Making icons for MSN. XD;
"A world  on fire."  - Daredevil

Offline Tess

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://rusalka.in
This is a really great idea, Sarah! :) We can learn off each other, and it's really neat to see what people do, how long they've been doing it, etc.! :lol:

June 23rd, 2003! Haha, yes, I remember! (6 and a half years!)

01. What was your first website? ohmy.gif
Sexy Men - it's a portal for now, though I have plans; it's a free domain, too, so I don't feel bad about abandoning it. :x

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts?
These are some examples; as you can see, I was more graphically-inclined in the past.

And some more! Simple, I have found, it my middle name.

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! wub.gif
I prefer centre layouts, because I read on a article that that's the first place one looks, is the middle of the screen. I also go for validity over style, so sometimes people are like, "...that's not as great as the last one!" I like simple designs; it can't be helped that some of my layouts aren't up to par in the graphic department (of course, that's not to say one can't use graphics in simple designs, not at all!).

I've always been rather backward, aha! I do love the graphic-heavy trend (rollover images, table layouts), I've just never personally been able to do it. I can't, it's not in my blood! :lol:

06. Others you dislike?
I dislike the tiny text, for obvious reasons; I wear glasses, so if I'm squinting WITH THEM ON, the design is partially ruined for me. Sure, I can increase my text size, but I shouldn't have to, really.

I enjoy the heck out of vectors and manga colouring! I think each person on this board is talented, but it takes a great eye to do what these particular people do; absolutely gorgeous (I may or may not be looking at Sarah and Carolyn)! (Also, valid layouts make me love you, and huge text is the best thing EVAR.)

White, because it goes with anything. Red is great, also, but I love when I'm able to work with blue, orange, green and brown, ALL IN THE SAME LAYOUT. Talent, folks!

Erm...probably, I think, colouring. I did pick up the knack from colouring challenges, but I'd like to work on that. (...And graphics.) (Side note: I want a manga colouring challenge site! :wub: I think it would be awesome if I had someone telling me what not to do/what I did incorrectly when I submit my entry and I lose horribly. Just throwin' out there; there might be one because I'm half blind.)

I'm a programming whore, what do you think? :(

This may sound a little weird, but...riding in a car. I see these sights, and the roads and trees and flowers, and I get this free feeling inside my chest, AND HELLO INSPIRATION! Maybe not so weird, but it works for me.

It depends on the simple factor. For instance, Lirin's layout took insanely FOREVER, but I did Shinigami (this includes blending two images together, along with adjusting the navigation) in a snap.

Computers hate me, so I'm constantly switching. I was on a 1280 by 800 laptop until it broke down, and I went to a 1400 by 900 computer; however, I've always designed for 800 by 600 and below.

Yes, I have! It's been my dream; I will be going in for web development, of course.

15. Other graphics you enjoy making? (i.E. icons, wallpapers etc)
I like making icons, but I suck major...back-end wise, which is tragic, because I enjoy it so much! On the flip side, I make awesome-tastic wallpapers, because I'm not constricted by resolution/size (layout/icon), but I dread making them.

Offline Isa

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
  • Manga, Drawing/Painting, Web Des
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.lollibean.net
For about 4 or 5 years now.

http://beautyfarie.bravehost.com <-- It was a doll website, page builders and graphic generators were the basis of my design ^_^

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts? ♥
http://i46.tinypic.com/2hofs45.png This was probably my 2nd or 3rd layout I ever made? All those pixel graphics were made on a maker!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2807hgn.jpg Its a layout for my blog made a couple months ago.
And for my fanlisting: http://theisotop.jadedchic.net

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! wub.gif
I use divs a lot, all the time actually. The positions of my layouts don't really change all that much, there is never any consistency in the design of the images but the overall look is quite smiliar in most of my fanlistings.

I'm not even sure how to answer this xD Don't know much about webtrends or I just can't think of one right now.

06. Others you dislike?
Tiny font (though you can just zoom), blinding colours, basically anything that can physically impair a person xD And automatic music players  :)

I don't know it depends, I love seeing those fantasy looking anime layouts. Well I can't really explain it but its got something almost "magical" about it. And layouts with digital design from sketch/manga colouring.

I like working with shades of blue or brown o_o Depends on my mood but I use either blue or yellow a lot

Variation of my designs? I think I need to experiment a lot more with colours and positioning of the images and also the complexity of a layout.
I also need to work on coding x(

Making layout, coding layouts frustrate me. I loving making layouts, being creative and its so much fun. Sometimes I can get annoyed when they don't turn out the way I would like but when that happens, by some miracle coding makes up for!

Everything! Just looking around my room I can get many different ideas and looking at other people's drawings/art and thier own layout designs. That inspires me a lot.

Depends, for a simple layout probably 30 minutes to an hour. Other times can take up to hours! I usually complete them in one day.

Mozilla Firefox and screen resolution 1024×768 I think xD

Yes I have many times but I'm not too confident in my skills and satisfying a client. Plus due to limited time and excess amount of laziness I don't think I'll be too good as a paid web designer.

Icons, and random graphics. I like editing pictures to make them look nicer x) Like those who have good cameras with filters.   :)
[font="Georgia"]Lollibean.net/ TheIsotope

Icon ♥[/font]

Offline Hakka

• Manga. Comics. Slash & yaoi.
    • View Profile
    • http://snakes-and-dragons.org
[quote name='Isa' post='271142' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM']06. Others you dislike?
Tiny font (though you can just zoom), blinding colours, basically anything that can physically impair a person xD And automatic music players  :)[/quote]

Since this is a popular dislike, I was just wondering under which pixel size you consider a font "tiny". I'm currently working on a layout for a lj and some users said me 10px was little. Since I always stay for 10px for my fanlisting... could someone tell me if you find it small?  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:56:39 PM by Hakka »
\"Give Sasuke back! He doesn\'t belong to you!\" - but to me...

Scorpion in disguise - Beware of the sting!
Dux

~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~

Co

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
[quote name='Hakka' post='271152' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='Isa' post='271142' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM']06. Others you dislike?
Tiny font (though you can just zoom), blinding colours, basically anything that can physically impair a person xD And automatic music players  :)[/quote]

Since this is a popular dislike, I was just wondering under which pixel size you consider a font "tiny". I'm currently working on a layout for a lj and some users said me 10px was little. Since I always stay for 10px for my fanlisting... could someone tell me if you find it small?  :)
[/quote]I usually use font : 10pt  (or 11pt) for most of the content area. Additionally, I might use something smaller like 7pt, but only for credits/footers mostly. Anything below 6pt is just unreadable for large amount of text o:

Also, 1em = 12pt = 16px = 100% so I would recommend using pt (points) or % (percentage) units over px (pixel) as well ^_^
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:30:38 PM by Mitzrael »
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]

Offline Hakka

• View Profile
[quote name='Mitzrael' post='271153' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:29 PM'][quote name='Hakka' post='271152' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='Isa' post='271142' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM']06. Others you dislike?

[/quote]I usually use font : 10pt  (or 11pt) for most of the content area. Additionally, I might use something smaller like 7pt, but only for credits/footers mostly. Anything below 6pt is just unreadable for large amount of text o:

Also, 1em = 12pt = 16px = 100% so I would recommend using pt (points) or % (percentage) units over px (pixel) as well :P
[/quote]

Uch! So I indeed use little fonts (I remember using 10px but seems I had already switched to pts: my average size are 7/8 pt)!  ^_^ Now I'm really torn: I can't stand bigger sizes!  :/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:32:39 PM by Hakka »

Dux

Co

Offline Tess

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://rusalka.in
[quote name='Mitzrael' post='271153' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:29 PM'][quote name='Hakka' post='271152' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='Isa' post='271142' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM']06. Others you dislike?

Since this is a popular dislike, I was just wondering under which pixel size you consider a font "tiny". I'm currently working on a layout for a lj and some users said me 10px was little. Since I always stay for 10px for my fanlisting... could someone tell me if you find it small?  ^_^

Also, 1em = 12pt = 16px = 100% so I would recommend using pt (points) or % (percentage) units over px (pixel) as well :P
[/quote]
I use pixels most of the time, but that's true; using points or percentages is definitely recommended! :yes:

[quote name='Hakka' post='271157' date='Nov 24 2009, 03:30 PM'][quote name='Mitzrael' post='271153' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:29 PM'][quote name='Hakka' post='271152' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='Isa' post='271142' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM']06. Others you dislike?

Since this is a popular dislike, I was just wondering under which pixel size you consider a font "tiny". I'm currently working on a layout for a lj and some users said me 10px was little. Since I always stay for 10px for my fanlisting... could someone tell me if you find it small?  :/

[/quote]

Uch! So I indeed use little fonts (I remember using 10px but seems I had already switched to pts: my average size are 7/8 pt)!  :P Now I'm really torn: I can't stand bigger sizes!  :help:
[/quote]
Haha, maybe it's the programmer in me, but perhaps you could set it to a bigger size, and downsize it in your browser? Or use cookies, and have the default cookie return the big font size, and the cookie of your choice a smaller size? ...If that made sense? :doh:

Offline Hakka

• View Profile
[quote name='Tess' post='271162' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:58 PM']Haha, maybe it's the programmer in me, but perhaps you could set it to a bigger size, and downsize it in your browser? Or use cookies, and have the default cookie return the big font size, and the cookie of your choice a smaller size? ...If that made sense? :)[/quote]

Actually makes sense, but I have no clue how to... ^^" And, if I have to say it bluntly, I wouldn't want to do it -.-
I'll try to convince myself to at least give all my fls a 8pts fonts.  :)
Thanks for the answer, Tess! <3
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:31:48 PM by Hakka »

Dux

Co

Offline Isa

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
  • Manga, Drawing/Painting, Web Des
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.lollibean.net
[quote name='Hakka' post='271176' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:31 PM'][quote name='Tess' post='271162' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:58 PM']Haha, maybe it's the programmer in me, but perhaps you could set it to a bigger size, and downsize it in your browser? Or use cookies, and have the default cookie return the big font size, and the cookie of your choice a smaller size? ...If that made sense? :doh:[/quote]

Actually makes sense, but I have no clue how to... ^^" And, if I have to say it bluntly, I wouldn't want to do it -.-
I'll try to convince myself to at least give all my fls a 8pts fonts.  :frustrated:
Thanks for the answer, Tess! <3
[/quote]

I understand your feeling of not wanting to make your font size bigger, sometimes I like using 10px, just goes better with layouts.
I don't think its such a big issue having small fonts because people can always zoom in on it (oh how I love that!) When I'm reading things are night, my eyesight tends to be terrible so I zoom in until the font size is like 15px xD

I should really change from px to pt =_=
Dark fonts against a dark background, light fonts against light backgrounds where it practically blends in and bright blinding colors are the real pain.
[font="Georgia"]Lollibean.net/ TheIsotope

Icon ♥[/font]

Offline Clover

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • Naruto, Pokemon, Akeboshi
    • View Profile
    • http://yondaime.org
Late 2003 officially

01. What was your first website? :wub:
A blog of sorts   :frustrated:

I have small screenshots somewhere (will get back on this)

Latest?  Click!

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! :doh:
For my anime ones, I usually opt for some weird watercolor coloring of black and white images.  For my photo/RL ones, usually I use some grunge/textures.  Overall, definitely a lot of blue, sky colours.

Mootools = luv

06. Others you dislike?
A lot of sites (at least professional) seem to rely on a image header with a bar for navigation, and then a boxy ara for the content in columns.  It's so repetitive it is getting annoying.

Out of the box.

Sky/sea colours

Creativity

Coding it.  I get really bad layout blocks, but when I finally have my layout done, I have a ball with playing around with css and js.

Everyone here.  :o

Depends.  At least a week.

At the moment, FF on 1680x1050

Was in one, but I was on the coding side, not the design side.

Textures, mainly.

Hotaru - TAFL Alum
http://naruto.nu\'>naruto.nu | http://yondaime.

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
I started my first GeoCities site in my freshman year of high school, so like Jackie I have been designing since 1996. I haven't been designing *consistently* since then, however. After I went to college, I stopped, and picked it up again in 2004 - so about eight years all together.

My first Geocities Homestead was in the Hollywood neighborhood. It was little more than text on a colored background. My first actual site, with my own coding and such was at http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1190 - it's no longer available, sadly.

I don't archive my old layouts, so my earliest layouts are just some ridiculously old fanlisting layouts.  :/ I think the oldest of these is for the poem The Lady of Shalott.

My latest layout is my new collective layout. :x

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls!
I wouldn't call it a style really, but I absolutely suck using pretty brushes and textures and patterns and whoopdidads on my layouts. I mean, beyond a normal amount of suckage - I am talking serious, don't-look-or-you'll-get-sucked-in suckage. So, my layouts tend to be pretty bland and simple. So, I try to make up for this with creative use of images whether layering, coloring, cropping or whatnot. I don't know if it turns out the way I imagine it in my head, but I would call this my "style" if anything.

WTF is a webtrend?

06. Others you dislike?
Again, wtf is this. I mean... is this something that has to show up on a certain number of sites, or certain sites in general? I don't get it.

I am not a trend follower, if it wasn't already known.

Anytime I see those magical brushes or patterns prettying up a layout I am in awe... but not when they are *cluttering* up a layout. Sparingly is beautiful!

I love, Love, LOVE using black and white, plus one primary color.

Um, everything? I gave up trying to improve my killz with the Photoshop brushes, so I think CSS is where I really need to improve my skills.

Coding it. I am not overwhelmingly creative, and I really like making code work. It's fun seeing letters and numbers become a functional website.

I am inspired by a desire NOT to make something buttass ugly. Inspiration, however, does not always equal an attractive design.

FOREVER, man.

My new resolution is 1366 x 768. I browse exclusively with FireFox, but I test layouts in IE, Opera and Safari. I design for 800 x 600.

I've given it consideration and put it on the "someday in the future" burner.

15. Other graphics you enjoy making?
I fsking love coloring manga images. It's like a catharsis.

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • Describe Sarah\'s life with 3 wo
    • View Profile
    • http://sky-below.net
[quote name='Shalott' post='271524' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:42 AM']05. Any webtrends you really like?
WTF is a webtrend?

06. Others you dislike?
Again, wtf is this. I mean... is this something that has to show up on a certain number of sites, or certain sites in general? I don't get it.[/quote]
Webtrend = short for Web(design) & Trend

RE: trend  (trɛnd)  n.
1. The general direction in which something tends to move. [...]
4. The popular taste at a given time; "leather is the latest vogue"; "he followed current trends"; "the 1920s had a style of their own"

So, personally speaking, when a lot of people start using something at the same time (iE one might consider it a popular taste at the given time), I'd call it a webtrend. While there is no such thing as a certain number of sites it has to show up on (or anything like that), if you come across a specific design element on every other site, it is very likely to be some sort of current trend. Let's take manga coloring as an example: A few years ago hardly anyone used it, but lately lots of people seem to try their hand at it and you can see manga-colored layouts all over the place now. :/

But yeah, that's just my two cents and I'm a design/fashion geek. :x
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:25:33 PM by Sarah »
[color="#FF0000"]♥[/color] ~ [color="#fbacbc"]S[/color]arah [color="#000000"] | [/color] [color="#5face2"]sky[/color][color="#828282"]-below.net[/color]

love  [color="#000000"] is endless [/color]

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
[quote name='Sarah' post='271528' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:23 PM'][quote name='Shalott' post='271524' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:42 AM']05. Any webtrends you really like?
WTF is a webtrend?

06. Others you dislike?
Again, wtf is this. I mean... is this something that has to show up on a certain number of sites, or certain sites in general? I don't get it.[/quote]

4. The popular taste at a given time; "leather is the latest vogue"; "he followed current trends"; "the 1920s had a style of their own"

So, personally speaking, when a lot of people start using something at the same time (iE one might consider it a popular taste at the given time), I'd call it a webtrend. While there is no such thing as a certain number of sites it has to show up on (or anything like that), if you come across a specific design element on every other site, it is very likely to be some sort of current trend. Let's take manga coloring as an example: A few years ago hardly anyone used it, but lately lots of people seem to try their hand at it and you can see manga-colored layouts all over the place now. :/

[/quote]

... SO THAT'S WHY SOME WEBSITES ALL LOOK THE SAME. Trends are for squares, yo.

I had kind of figured out the literal definition already. I just don't understand why a person would want their site to look the same as everyone else's. Isn't that the problem with trends, be it web or whatever?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:08:10 PM by Shalott »

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • Describe Sarah\'s life with 3 wo
    • View Profile
    • http://sky-below.net
[quote name='Shalott' post='271531' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:03 PM'][quote name='Sarah' post='271528' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:23 PM'][quote name='Shalott' post='271524' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:42 AM']05. Any webtrends you really like?
WTF is a webtrend?

06. Others you dislike?

[/quote]

... SO THAT'S WHY SOME WEBSITES ALL LOOK THE SAME. Trends are for squares, yo.

I had kind of figured out the literal definition already. I just don't understand why a person would want their site to look the same as everyone else's. Isn't that the problem with trends, be it web or whatever?
[/quote]
LOL, well personally I don't think sites all look the same just because they follow a certain trend. Of course there are some that do, but a lot of my sites use manga coloring and yet I wouldn't say that they look exactly the same as all the other sites that use manga coloring, too. There are a lot of ways to play with design elements that might currently seem "in"- if I happen to like something specific that seems to be an on-going trend, it's up to me to try and make something original out of it again, and add my personal "style" to it.

The problem are people who desperately try to stick to trends and lose all of their originality and own creativity in the process, but this has always been the case and this will always be the case. Trends can be guidelines for some people, while for others, like myself, they're just inspiring to a certain degree. So it really is up to the individual to try and make something out of it.

So yeah, I really wouldn't consider trends to be something "bad". They're more or less inevitable - you create something, chances are other people are going to like it and try it out too. Then it's up to you to create something new again. Don't like following trends? Then set them. There's not much left if you're part of this industry.

To me, trends are really just what kinda makes the whole thing go round, haha.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:56:25 PM by Sarah »
[color="#FF0000"]♥[/color] ~ [color="#fbacbc"]S[/color]arah [color="#000000"] | [/color] [color="#5face2"]sky[/color][color="#828282"]-below.net[/color]

love  [color="#000000"] is endless [/color]

Offline Cozza

• 07 Ghost, Naruto, One Piece, Gia
    • View Profile
    • http://jellyfishing.org
i started on piczo with my school mates in year 6 ~ 2005, if i remember n__n

do piczo sites count? ahah, my first subdomain was hosted in 2007.

definitely not! D: haha, i can't find any anyway *wipes sweat off face*

it's not that recent.. but erm http://jellyfishing.info :3

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls!
i tend to overuse grey/black D: and trebuchet ms, haha.

anything pretty, hehe ~

06. Others you dislike?
totally skinny layouts, with tiny sized text!

manga colouring! i love seeing it, i wish i could do it though D:

grey! haha, it's so easy to work with.

graphic design. i really fail.

coding!

all of your sites! you guys inspire me with your gorgeous layouts ^o^

depends.. normally a minimum of six hours.

firefoooox <33 1280 x 1024 (unfortunately that's the highest resolution available on my monitor)

yup! nothing too serious though.

icons and pixels 8D