The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Collectors

Isa · 12 · 2515

Offline Isa

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
  • Manga, Drawing/Painting, Web Des
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.lollibean.net
After searching through 8 pages to see if this was answered I got tired so I'm sorry if this has already been asked  :D

Is a collector someone who applies for fanlisting for the sake of applying? How does a staffer determine a collector?

I saw a lot of people saying "No collectors" in adoption threads and I got scared cause I assumed it was a person who applied for a lot of fanlistings.

I asked myself if I was a collector. I'll explain why:

Recently I've been applying for a lot of fanlistings, especially yaoi related fanlistings. I've read hundreds of yaoi manga (not exaggerating) and there are many series and relationships that I love but I see no fanlistings for and because I love them so I want to create the fanlisting because they deserve to have one. So I wrote a list and I realized the list was really long and I thought I was being too selfish. However they're not well known so I don't really see anyone creating them and plus I wanted to create the fanlistings for the subjects I love :wub: (Am I being greedy here?)

The same goes with non adult series, I read far too much manga and I fall in love with these not so popular manga and I have the desire to create a fanlisting for it.
You see all this leads to a lot of applications though I always keep track so I don't break the rules and I always try my best in taking care of them.

So am I collector because I apply for many fanlistings? (All which I love dearly, I see no point in applying for something you don't love and its unfair to those who actually are fans of the subject)
Thanks for answering my questions!! :wub:
[font="Georgia"]Lollibean.net/ TheIsotope

Icon ♥[/font]

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
In my opinion, collectors are people who apply for listings based on popularity of the subject, number of fans (if it's an adoption) and the worst thing of all, regardless of being a fan OR having even tried having/had any previous interest in the subject.

Basically, they apply and/or get approved for listings just to boast and become more 'popular' themselves. popularity/members hunters

It really is a matter of how one feels about it though, at times I still feel like a hog about listings related to Bokura no Oukoku or Vampire Knight but the first one isn't even that 'popular' and nobody applies for anything related to it xD;;; and the second truly became 'big' by the time the anime series came out which was a long long long time after the manga became itself more influent in the manga world I believe o:

EDIT/ I came back to make a clarification XD;

This by no means mean that people owning listing with thousands of member are automatically called 'collectors' but, most of the time it's easy to figure out if there's some kind of trend or pattern :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:56:30 PM by Mitzrael »
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]

Offline Yamila

• View Profile
    • http://cielo-azul.org/
Pretty much what Mitzie has said :3

In addition, there are some people who apply for characters/relationships/songs, just because they love the series they are from, but not the subjects specifically. D: I mean, of course that if you love a series deeply, you will also love tons of things from it (LOL, I own 5 Gundam 00 fanlistings xD 2 OTPs, 2 characters, and a song that I love with all of my heart :D), but when you apply just for the sake of "owning a fl of something from the series", there you are a collector :wub:

Also xD I believe that if people don't bother applying for those subjects, then you aren't a hog :''3

As long as you really love the character, the relationship, etc. you are building the fl for, you give it all to make justice for it and you feel really happy of owning it, no one can call you a collector, and you shouldn't worry about it. :wub:
yamila · Latest: Jojo[color=#0

Offline Shalott

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.nameless-way.com
In my opinion - if you are applying purely based on popularity or potential popularity, then you're a collector. If you apply for 7001235465 fanlistings in the same series regardless of whether or not you like the subject, then you're a collector. If a fanlisting is placed for adoption and suddenly this fanlisting is "omg your biggest wishlister EVAR" when no one has ever heard you mention the subject before, then you might (just might) be a collector.

It's usual for people who have just discovered fanlistings to get excited and apply for quite a few subjects - often in the same category or series. There is nothing wrong with that, and I doubt there is anyone here who didn't do the same thing when they first started out.

Likewise, it's also not strange to see one person with quite a few fanlistings for, no offense intended, less popular subjects. If there is something you want to build and it isn't getting applied for by all means, go for it! When it comes down to it, I think collectors are the people who are only in it for the recognition owning "popular" or large fanlistings can bring them.

Offline Hakka

• Manga. Comics. Slash & yaoi.
    • View Profile
    • http://snakes-and-dragons.org
Basically what Mitzrael and Yamilla already said.

To me there are
1) collectors interested in owning big fanlistings (so they apply for every fl with toons of members or for subjects they know they'd get toons of members)
2) collectors interested in owning a series related fanlistings (like... I don't know... owning all the minor characters in One Piece just because they can't get their hands on the series or on the Straw Hats without really love these little characters)
3) collectors who can be called hoggers. I'm not at all against the "positive" hoggers, like "nobody applied before for this series and related, so I open all and keep for myself" -if you're a owner who opens/adopt a lot of fanlisting in a short time, this doesn't actually mean you're a collector!-, but the are people who seriously hog famous series (I'm not refering specifically to manga but generally to movies and similar too  :wub: ) and that hurts all the other series' fans. :D

I can also point you to the same topic at TFL: there the matter took three pages. :wub:

[quote name='Shalott' post='272871' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:20 AM']It's usual for people who have just discovered fanlistings to get excited and apply for quite a few subjects - often in the same category or series. There is nothing wrong with that, and I doubt there is anyone here who didn't do the same thing when they first started out.[/quote]
Ditto!
\"Give Sasuke back! He doesn\'t belong to you!\" - but to me...

Scorpion in disguise - Beware of the sting!
Dux

~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~

Co

Offline Drea

• View Profile
    • http://nomnom.org
A collector isn't someone who has a lot of fanlistings, a collector is someone who has a lot of fanlistings and does the bare minimum with them (at least to me), or who just has the fanlistings for the sake of having them, has no love for the subject but knows flat out it'll be popular so they apply anyway.  Often they make up stories about their love and just get scant details about the subject from wikipedia or something and go from there.

You can have 8 billion fanlistings and not be a collector-- it's not number, it's love and taking care of them, or lack thereof, that make a person a collector ot not, y'know?
[color=\"#4169E1\"][font=\"Arial\"]Aye, Sir~[/font][/color]

Offline Isa

• TAFL Trouble Checkers
  • Manga, Drawing/Painting, Web Des
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.lollibean.net
Ah thanks for all the detailed replies. I've got a better idea of what a collector is now.

I don't think I can ever make a fanlisting for something I had no interest in, I won't have the enthusiasm to create and update it. I love all of my current fanlistings and get lots of joy by adding content to it (I try xD), I won't have the same feeling if it was for a subject I didn't love no matter how popular it is.

I would feel sort of sad when adding members to a fanlisting I didn't like, I mean not being able to share the same love as the fans who join, I wouldn't be able to handle that :yahoo:

In a way I'm slightly happy (ok more than slightly) that most of the manga I like are available for me to create fanlistings for but its also unfortunate that it doesn't seem to get the attention I think it deserves.

[quote name='Shalott' post='272871' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:20 AM']It's usual for people who have just discovered fanlistings to get excited and apply for quite a few subjects - often in the same category or series. There is nothing wrong with that, and I doubt there is anyone here who didn't do the same thing when they first started out.[/quote]

Haha I'm overwhelmed by the amount of series/relationships that are on my wish list that are available for me to apply for. I'm really grateful for the limit rule on upcoming and pending applications, it helps me not to take on too much at a time and really focus on the upcoming fanlistings!

[quote name='Hakka' post='272879' date='Jan 6 2010, 12:38 PM']3) collectors who can be called hoggers. I'm not at all against the "positive" hoggers, like "nobody applied before for this series and related, so I open all and keep for myself" -if you're a owner who opens/adopt a lot of fanlisting in a short time, this doesn't actually mean you're a collector!-, but the are people who seriously hog famous series (I'm not refering specifically to manga but generally to movies and similar too  ^_^ ) and that hurts all the other series' fans. :sweatdrop:[/quote]

xD I might fall into the "positive hoggers" lol I can already see it xD
But I understand what you're saying about the popular series, I've seen it happen with popular movies.

[quote name='Drea' post='272915' date='Jan 7 2010, 07:24 PM']You can have 8 billion fanlistings and not be a collector-- it's not number, it's love and taking care of them, or lack thereof, that make a person a collector ot not, y'know?[/quote]

This makes me feel better about the number of fanlistings I may own in the future xD I think as I'm a bit new (well only started a few months ago) and seeing so many available subjects I tend to apply for many in a short amount of time. Practically almost everything I love (except for all the popular subjects) are available for me to apply for so I think as time goes on my wish list will get shorter (well depends on my manga addiction) and I'll be able to have better self control!

Again thank you all for answering the questions, extremely grateful that its all clear to me now ^.^
[font="Georgia"]Lollibean.net/ TheIsotope

Icon ♥[/font]

Offline Katze

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • These vast internets, anime, fan
    • View Profile
    • http://pure-rhythm.org
I agree with a lot of what's been said - that is, things like people wanting to have the fanlistings based on how popular they are. I personally own a lot of fanlistings - and a royal buttload from Tennis no Oujisama (including the series)- but I don't consider myself a collector.  As far as Tenipuri goes, I love each and every one of my subjects to teeny tiny pieces. I'd be applying for even more if I didn't already feel like a giant fandom hog - but this is a fandom where there are 100+ regularly occurring, fairly main characters, and a virtual ton of songs, relationships, rivalries, etc to choose from.  Some of these fanlistings have hundreds or thousands of members. Some of them haven't even made it into double digits despite how long I've owned them (6-7 years, for some). It really all just depends. XD  

The one thing that really bugs me is people applying for listings, having them for a couple months, then immediately dropping them when their series is no longer popular/the flavour of the month.  I don't mean for people who start something and then decide they don't like it anymore, or have personal issues to deal with and have to close/adopt once in a while, but the people who continuously do it >> (But then, this is me who doesn't do much jumping from fandom to fandom and has basically stayed in the same fandoms for 10+ years, picking up new ones on the way, so I don't really understand people "leaving" fandom XD).

Offline Rain

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • Room 402
I also agree with a lot that has been said. For me, collectors are people that only apply for a fanlisting because of its populatity and/or member count without being honestly interested in the subject itself, so I second what Mitz said :hug:. For fanlistings hoggers... Hmmm, I'm not sure but I suppose some people see me as a fanlisting hogger when it comes to Resident Evil over at TFL. You see, I LOVE this videogame series so damn much, there's nothing I play that much and I absolutely love everything about it. So many of my wishlisters are RE- related and thanks to this and lucky circumstances I already got a few fanlistings related to it. But I don't consider myself a hogger since I really love each and every single of my fanlistings and by owning them, I just want to show my neverending love for this series :wub: . Maybe other people don't see it like this but I think it's a small grade we are talking about. So for me, as long as the person truly loves the subject of the fanlisting it's okay with me, no matter how many fanlistings of a certain series / subject that person owns :hug:.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:00:06 PM by Rain »

Offline Emcy

• Formally known as Emcy from peti
    • View Profile
    • http://cuite.org/
Ditto to absolutely everything on here. Seriously D: What could I possibly add?

To me, a collector is just somebody who applies for the sake of applying. To me, it's not that a person has a gazillion FLs or applies for the one with members (everybody wants to own an active FL, right?) or applies for a million in the same series. It's just somebody who applies and does the ... well, general stuff. Someone who if you read their app is clearly just generalizing and probably doesn't even know who the character is. I dunno. Collectors don't bother me as long as they take good care of the fanlistings. In my definition.

I mean, I know I personally will put in an adoption application sometimes for a subject I don't greatly fancy (but still like) but certainly don't want to see closed because it's either a wonderful collection of members/has been up for years/the previous member is rather desperate sounding to ensure it stays open. Given, usually those subjects seem like they'd have lots of application but some people don't put up how many apps they've received so you never know. That darn "will be closed if no one adopts" always nails me if it's for a series I really like. And sometimes, not too often but I'll grow to really adore that adoption for the longer I have it. Sometimes I'll sort of ... "hold" onto a fanlisting until I know it's a better time to bring it up. Like if there is a trend in the boards or the newest anime/manga fad has died down *shrugs* I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I just hate seeing fanlistings closed for subjects I even remotely like. Makes me sad =(

So TELL EMCY HOW MANY APPS YOU GET xD Then you won't have her panicking over your adoption posts!!

Now actual applications are a completely different story and I only apply for those I adore to bits and pieces. I mean, start from scratch, you wanna make it completely yours, right?

*wonders if this post is going to make people think badly of her; hopes not* ;^;
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:29:33 PM by Emcy »

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
[quote name='Emcy' post='273168' date='Jan 14 2010, 11:28 PM']Someone who if you read their app is clearly just generalizing and probably doesn't even know who the character is. I dunno.[/quote]
Actually, this isn't fully true. This somewhat addresses Isa's original question about how a staffer can tell if someone's a collector, but I have had plenty of situations with Collector's who send in apps. and definitely appear like they know the character and what they're talking about. Some of them, in fact, are quite good at manipulating the small snippets of information they do know, to send in otherwise wonderful applications. In those instances, it's experience more than anything else, that tips a staffer off. Things a collector will usually do in their applications: beg for an approval, suck up to the staffer/staffer army, make promises about forthcoming shrines that ultimately never come, and so on and so forth. They can be quite sneaky, in this regard, so it's definitely not wise to just assume someone is not a collector because they write ~*flowery*~ applications.

The unfortunate thing is, when one of them realizes that the Staff is fully aware of their tendencies, they typically resort to Adoptions to continue their habit, and because of this, there is little TAFL can do, but hope that other, more dedicated fans also apply. Really, though, my favorite part, as Shal mentioned, is the ever-changing Wishlist. :winkiss: That never gets old.

As to the rest of this discussion, I think this is really a personal definition that has a lot of variables. How big is the fandom? How popular is the series? What related fanlistings do they own? Are a lot of people applying? I own a rather large amount of One Piece listings (understatement), of which, one is the main character. The series is the most incredibly popular in Japan, but for online fandom? Not the case. It's unfortunate that there are so few of us in the fanlisting community building FLs for OP (please, more people apply!), because there are plenty of open subjects worthy of it. I feel guilty enough owning the amount that I do, but the fact of the matter is, no one else was applying for them until very recently. I was approved for Luffy and Ace without any competition, for lack of a better word, same with their relationship. A few years passed, Usopp opened for applications, and again, when applying, only those of us with other OP listings tried our hand for him. Brook was opened and closed/removed three times before I was finally sick of seeing that happen and applied - the staffer army had to decide this, since OP had become more popular; Luffy/Zoro were an adoption from a friend, prior to Usopp, and I still submitted an application. Does this make me a collector too, even though all that time had passed and I love them very dearly?

The thing about FLs and perceived "fairness" is restraint. You have to know when you're pushing your limits and if you're going about things the right way. Owning the series, main character, and relationship might not be a big deal in a huge fandom, but what about smaller ones with lots of new fans? It's all very personal, again, but as long as you're doing things "fairly" - applying at the network, responding to an adoption post, etc. - then who's to blame you if you're approved? What I can't stand (and drives me nuts as a staffer), is when people get so underhanded and rather deceitful about "getting" fanlistings. When a fanlistings is pending removal and you suddenly adopt it because you mailed the owner and asked them if you could have it, you lose about 200 points of respect with me. Why couldn't you wait for the fanlisting to be removed and try your hand at it fairly, along with every other fan who probably would have loved the opportunity? This trend has been happening a lot lately and it makes me quite sad to see such actions, especially with the more "popular" FLs. Private adoptions are great, don't get me wrong, but when an owner is on troubles and makes no indication that they're going to fix this, you're undermining everyone else by swooping in for easy-pickings.

/rant

Er... so, yes. Personal perception and responsibility and all that. That got really long, orz.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:42:13 PM by Marie »
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion

Offline Emcy

• Formally known as Emcy from peti
    • View Profile
    • http://cuite.org/
[quote name='Marie' post='273183' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:32 AM']Actually, this isn't fully true.[/quote]

Haha, well, the matter of what's considered a collector is different to everybody. Obviously people who help run the site are gonna have different opinions on the matter then us fellow just regular ol' owners. We don't exactly have it part of our job description to recognize these collectors.

Also, I love how you totally made it sound like being a Collector is on par with a big drug junkie xD The whole "once a staffer recognizes them, they move on to adoptions to support their habit" xD It was so parallel, I don't know what to say, haha. Awesome stuff, Marie <3~

[quote name='Marie' post='273183' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:32 AM']When a fanlistings is pending removal and you suddenly adopt it because you mailed the owner and asked them if you could have it, you lose about 200 points of respect with me.[/quote]

I've never heard of someone doing that before but that does sound rather dumb =/ I like waiting (I've never even considering mailing someone =/) cause then when I make it up, it's all my own if I get approved for it =3 Feels great! Like with my D.Grayman OTP. Still overly happy about that approval and although it only has three members compared to the previous hundred-and-some, I still feel like it's all my creation. It's awesome!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:05:34 PM by Emcy »