The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Questions about the Character and Relationships categories

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Question number 1.

One of my fanlists was placed in the troubles because it was a combined fanlisting for more than one characters without any option of choosing who/which are your favourites. I'm trying to code a system that lets you choose your favorites but what would be most easy thing is to remove the single character names from TAFL's approved fl's list and list the fanlist under the name of the group in which these characters are.  Here's an example from TFL:

21 Jump Street
Hanson, Tom
Penhall, Doug
  • Jump Street Gang
That
  • thing is the one I'm after. I haven't seen any groups listed like this at TAFL. The second way to get my list out of troubles would be transferring the list into the category "Relationships", though it won't fit there so well, IMHO. (Though it's a relationship of somekind...)
Question number 2.

I have noticed the huge growth in the popularity of yaoi. "In the good ol' times" I joined fanlisting in the category Relationships just to show my support of two male character's friendship but now I've become a bit suspicious. Feels like most of the male/male relationship fanlistings are made for the yaoi relationship of those two, though "... if you like them as friends or as a couple..." is always mentioned in the rules/about of the fanlisting (as well in the rules/about of any male/female relationship fanlistings too).

So, Rivalries category has only rivalries listed in it but Relationships have friendships AND couples/threesomes/whatever. It would be great if friendship listings could be  listed in their own category and couples in their ow because it feels little crazy that the fanlist's owner is (for example) a yaoi fangirl, 99 % of the members are yaoi fangirls and there's this 1 % who joined the list to support the friendship, not the yaoi couple. To the majority those fanlistings still look like "oh wow, look how many fans SasuNaru has!", though there might be few fans of their friendship in the list too, unwillingly raising the number of SasuNaruists.

I have a female/male fanlisting of my own, and I made it thinking that it would be a fanlisting for their romantic relationship. I know that some people may not support their romantic relationship but would like to support their frienship or them being colleagues. This is impossible now. I wouldn't mind if someone would make a friendship fanlisting of those two characters because my listing is (though I accept all fans and continue to do so) for their romantic relationship.

Summary: different categories for non-romantic and romantic relationships?

Offline Mura

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • Shiny things. =D
    • View Profile
    • http://fan.gekidasa.net
[quote name='Anonymous' post='197205' date='Mar 29 2007, 07:23 AM']Question number 1.

One of my fanlists was placed in the troubles because it was a combined fanlisting for more than one characters without any option of choosing who/which are your favourites. I'm trying to code a system that lets you choose your favorites but what would be most easy thing is to remove the single character names from TAFL's approved fl's list and list the fanlist under the name of the group in which these characters are.  Here's an example from TFL:

21 Jump Street
Hanson, Tom
Penhall, Doug
  • Jump Street Gang
That
  • thing is the one I'm after. I haven't seen any groups listed like this at TAFL. The second way to get my list out of troubles would be transferring the list into the category "Relationships", though it won't fit there so well, IMHO. (Though it's a relationship of somekind...)
  • [/quote]

I'm sorry, but if you wanted to make a fanlisting for a group of characters, you should have applied for the group, not for the individual characters. Once a fanlisting for a particular subject is approved it is for THAT particular subject, and the staff is not going to simply change it to be something else. If at this point you realize that you do not want to run three individual fanlistings, the only thing you can do is close the three of them and apply for the group. We are not going to merge three approved fanlistings into a character group or into a relationship fanlisting, specially not as a quick and easy way out of troubles.

That said, TAFL only approves very specific groups of characters. Please see
our rules for more information.

[quote name='Anonymous' post='197205' date='Mar 29 2007, 07:23 AM']Question number 2.

I have noticed the huge growth in the popularity of yaoi. "In the good ol' times" I joined fanlisting in the category Relationships just to show my support of two male character's friendship but now I've become a bit suspicious. Feels like most of the male/male relationship fanlistings are made for the yaoi relationship of those two, though "... if you like them as friends or as a couple..." is always mentioned in the rules/about of the fanlisting (as well in the rules/about of any male/female relationship fanlistings too).

So, Rivalries category has only rivalries listed in it but Relationships have friendships AND couples/threesomes/whatever. It would be great if friendship listings could be  listed in their own category and couples in their ow because it feels little crazy that the fanlist's owner is (for example) a yaoi fangirl, 99 % of the members are yaoi fangirls and there's this 1 % who joined the list to support the friendship, not the yaoi couple. To the majority those fanlistings still look like "oh wow, look how many fans SasuNaru has!", though there might be few fans of their friendship in the list too, unwillingly raising the number of SasuNaruists.

I have a female/male fanlisting of my own, and I made it thinking that it would be a fanlisting for their romantic relationship. I know that some people may not support their romantic relationship but would like to support their frienship or them being colleagues. This is impossible now. I wouldn't mind if someone would make a friendship fanlisting of those two characters because my listing is (though I accept all fans and continue to do so) for their romantic relationship.

Summary: different categories for non-romantic and romantic relationships?[/quote]

Back when TAFL was part of TFL, relationship FLs could be for either the platonic or romantic aspect of a relationship. TFL decided a long time ago  that fanlistings would cover all aspects of a relationship, and we inherited that particularity. I really don't foresee us deciding to revert to the way it used to be at this point in time.

Fanlistings at TAFL (and TFL) HAVE to cover all aspects of a relationship, so if you want your fanlisting listed here, it can't be just the couple's romantic relationship. However you are certainly free to focus on either the romantic or platonic aspect, whichever you preffer, in the layout or in the about section (if you have one), as long as you make it clear that you accept all fans; just as slash fans are perfectly free to make a layout focusing on the pontentially romantic aspect of their relationship of choice. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:01:16 PM by Mura »
[color=\"#FFCC00\"]☆ [color=\"#993399\"]Mura[/color] ☆[/color] [color=\"#993399\"]

aka Boobitari Perestroika Homuncula sensei/Ebil Wonder Twin Jayna

(メ¬_¬) --> (.~_^)/☆ OTP!!

FLs | LJ | Plug: [url=\"http://fuuma.