The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Sailor Moon 2013

Eden · 9 · 1640

Offline Eden

• View Profile
According to Anime News Network and probably the entire internet going insane, there is going to be a reboot (this is a recent word that's popped up with remakes of shows/movies/etc) anime of Sailor Moon, which will follow closely with the manga. @MissDream replied on Twitter to @moonkitty:

@chibikim @moonkittynet Yes. The new anime will more closely follow the manga and is intended for ORIGINAL fans of the series. Not kids.

I'm not sure how to take this. For one thing, I guess it's exciting to see something follow closely to the manga as a lot of fans of the manga have wanted. Others have criticized the anime as being goofy and stupid. I thought the anime (both dub and Japanese) had a special charm to it in both ways so I'm a fan of both (I'm not critical when it comes to dubs vs subs etc). Personally, I treasure the anime/cartoon I grew up with and this gives me mixed feelings. I've not read the entire manga myself yet (I've only just finished what was out in America of the re-print and sparingly reading a fan-translation from MissDream) so I'm not sure if I "qualify" as an original fan. Does this statement separate fans? Fans of the anime, fans of just the manga, etc?

- Aramatheydidnt -  Oh Happy  Day: Sailor Moon 2013
- Anime News Network - Sailor Moon manga gets anime in 2013

What are your opinions about it? Are you excited? Are you indifferent? :) It's probably being made as we speak since it's slated for a 2013 release. Do you think summer of 2013 is a bit of a rush to get it out? I'm probably going to watch it anyway because Sailor Moon is a major part of my growing up, but I'll make sure to read the entire manga before it comes out.

Offline Hakka

• Manga. Comics. Slash & yaoi.
    • View Profile
    • http://snakes-and-dragons.org
Hmmm... hmmm...
I don't know, I do love the anime and the manga as two different takes for the same stories, they're so different that you can't really count them as the same title. I've grown up with the anime so I'm not sure how to take this news... let's see. :shrugs:
\"Give Sasuke back! He doesn\'t belong to you!\" - but to me...

Scorpion in disguise - Beware of the sting!
Dux

~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~

Co

Offline Jackie

• TAFL Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://psyche.nu/
The new anime series has not been confirmed to be based on the manga and there have not been any seiyuu confirmed: http://sailormoonlife.tumblr.com/post/26709034676/no

Personally, I would love for the new anime series to be based on the manga. I don't understand why you would feel threatened by a new version of the series, particularly one that follows the manga more closely. The new series doesn't really affect the old series. If you loved the old anime series - many Sailor Moon fans, myself included, do - then what would a new anime series do to that? Do you think that a new series would make you aware of flaws in the old series, of which there are plenty? (I love the anime but it has many, many problems.) You don't have to watch the new series if it really bothers you. But plenty of people like the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime despite the reboot anime series, or they like both the original anime and the Brotherhood series (which follows the manga more closely). A lot of people loved the Berserk anime and manga and are disappointed with the new anime movies; but I don't think their opinion of the manga or original anime series is diminished in any way.

And to be honest, I don't think you're an "original" fan if you only saw the dub, and only within the last year watched the original anime or read the manga. I consider the anime and manga series very different entities, but IMO, the English dub is a censored bastardization of the anime. You can enjoy the English dub, but don't expect everyone to consider you an "original" Sailor Moon fan; you're a Sailor Moon English dub fan, that's all. I do think it's strange that you'd find merit in both the English dub and the original anime and treat them equally, yet you have issues with a new anime series based on the manga. IMO, it sounds like you're self-imposing restrictions on your ability to watch the new series, when no such restrictions actually exist. If the new series is intended to appeal to a certain audience, then what prevents you from watching it? You can enjoy the series without the need for labels, regardless of where you come from or what experience with the Sailor Moon franchise you have.
Jackie - Senior Staffer - Characters 0-M & N-Z - Movies/OVAs - General
The Fluffy Squirrel

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
Just want to watch the new Black Moon arc >.> hope it gets real this time xDDD!!!!

(supposed to be attenting class but hey, a little break in attention span shouldn't hurt, right?)
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]

Offline Danielle

• TAFL Founder
    • View Profile
    • http://hoshichan.com/
Personally, I would love for the new anime series to be based on the manga.

Hear, hear — for the record, I too am a fan of the original anime (as derpy as it is, at times. Popped in a disc last night, my tolerance for the monster-of-the-day has atrophied over time, I fear. o_O; ) Beneath the episodic aspects, beneath Usagi's typical flailing, is a good story with good characters. The anime is what got me into the series in the first place!

That said, there's some great aspects to the manga that never really impacted the anime, so if a reboot touches on any of that, I'm all for it! I really hope it does well, and I hope we get the ENTIRE series, through Stars.

Besides, I have yet to have my dreams come true — big fat anime WEDDING SCENE, to mirror the manga ending — so I'm fully on board for seeing what they can do. And with all the advances in technology over the past twenty years, it oughta be BEAUTIFUL to watch. (Can you imagine the henshin sequences??!? My head is spinning.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:33:23 AM by Danielle »

D A N I E L L E

TAFL Founder, General Nuisance

Offline Yamila

• View Profile
    • http://cielo-azul.org/
And with all the advances in technology over the past twenty years, it oughta be BEAUTIFUL to watch. (Can you imagine the henshin sequences??!? My head is spinning.)
^ this!!! these were exactly my first thoughts when they announced the news >w< if the ones in the 90s were so good, imagine with new animation techniques  (´ ▽`).。o♡

my 2 cents: grew up with the LA dub -which was faithful to the Jap. version, great cast of voices, but with the names from the USA dub (??) (usagi will always be serena for me)-, in fact it was the first anime i ever watched. (*´▽`*) so it means a lot to me, and i'm so excited to see what they do with this new adaptation!!! personally... i don't think this will destroy my love for it or anything, since i'm older now and see things with different eyes :)  can't wait for next year!!! :kitty:
yamila · Latest: Jojo[color=#0

Offline Eden

• View Profile
The new anime series has not been confirmed to be based on the manga and there have not been any seiyuu confirmed: http://sailormoonlif.../26709034676/no

Personally, I would love for the new anime series to be based on the manga. I don't understand why you would feel threatened by a new version of the series, particularly one that follows the manga more closely. The new series doesn't really affect the old series. If you loved the old anime series - many Sailor Moon fans, myself included, do - then what would a new anime series do to that? Do you think that a new series would make you aware of flaws in the old series, of which there are plenty? (I love the anime but it has many, many problems.) You don't have to watch the new series if it really bothers you. But plenty of people like the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime despite the reboot anime series, or they like both the original anime and the Brotherhood series (which follows the manga more closely). A lot of people loved the Berserk anime and manga and are disappointed with the new anime movies; but I don't think their opinion of the manga or original anime series is diminished in any way.

And to be honest, I don't think you're an "original" fan if you only saw the dub, and only within the last year watched the original anime or read the manga. I consider the anime and manga series very different entities, but IMO, the English dub is a censored bastardization of the anime. You can enjoy the English dub, but don't expect everyone to consider you an "original" Sailor Moon fan; you're a Sailor Moon English dub fan, that's all. I do think it's strange that you'd find merit in both the English dub and the original anime and treat them equally, yet you have issues with a new anime series based on the manga. IMO, it sounds like you're self-imposing restrictions on your ability to watch the new series, when no such restrictions actually exist. If the new series is intended to appeal to a certain audience, then what prevents you from watching it? You can enjoy the series without the need for labels, regardless of where you come from or what experience with the Sailor Moon franchise you have.

I think you misunderstood my feelings about the new series. To clarify, I am aware of the flaws in the old series. Thing to note: I don't care about the flaws. That's what makes it so easy for me to enjoy two versions equally! I'm a fan of the Japanese one as well and I'm so far enjoying the manga though it's not the same experience as watching it be animated (which is something I prefer overall since I'm not THAT into manga). I watched the Japanese version quite a bit ago and only now (within this year) started the manga, following the re-print in America this year. I've also quite enjoyed the live-action story PGSM, which a lot of people are either disgusted or fans of it. Fans are fans no matter what version they like, no matter how long they've been watching/reading. I don't feel threatened in the least about this new series and I don't know where you got the idea that I was hesitant to watch the new series.

To elaborate, I was unsure of a new series since it seems it is a fad these days to "reboot" something and I was wary since most reboots are marketing ploys to rev up hype, or whathaveyou out of fans. I'm sure lots of things need to be redone and Sailor Moon is probably one of them. Remember, it was to be enjoyed by little girls a long time ago despite it's original intended audience, I was a little girl when the English Dub was around. I wasn't aware of a manga, let alone that manga existed at the time, and heck, I didn't know it was based on a Japanese show, so "original fan" is something coined by purists. I couldn't be an "original fan" anyway no matter what because I was simply unaware and too young to know about the other versions until I was much older.

A new series that would be based on the manga is something many fans (old and new) have been wanting. I'm sure once I'm finished reading the manga I'll appreciate the show a lot more should it be based on that, but it won't change my fan-level or opinion about the original anime. I know about the manga and its vast difference between the anime. I know all the differences in the English Dub compared to the Japanese release. I don't really prefer one over the other despite their differences. I'm someone who really enjoys being entertained and if a series does this, I enjoy it regardless! Both did this for me on I'm not picky whether something follows a manga or not. Too much energy to bother going nuts over minute details.

tl;dr I'm going to watch this anyway despite me being wary about yet another rebooted series. If it's done right, it'll be a hit.

Offline Amber

• TAFL Category Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://eien-melody.net
The idea that a "new series" can ruin the original reminds me so much of Pokemon fans debating all the time...I hope this doesn't happen here. X_X

I can't necessarily say I'm an "original" fan myself but I've enjoyed the series since I was like four or five (back then I only knew of the English dub as well). My mother teased I watched it as much as Disney movies as child. I've followed Sailor Moon since then even though I didn't start watching the Japanese version until I had access to a computer and watched it via VKLL subs on a Windows '98 Gateway.

However, I'm not going to open up the dub vs sub debate here (argued too often). Though I have to say the English version makes me cringe when I hear its music and voice acting. I enjoyed the manga and unfortunately, by the time I got around to reading the manga, it had already started to go out-of-print.

Also, even though MoonKitty.net is valid often when it comes to Sailor Moon news, it was not confirmed that any seiiyuu was confirmed like Jackie said. I'd be careful assuming anything about the new series until it is officially released news or even trusting these strong sources. Too often SM fans (both present and past) create rumors or thinking something is true when it is not. I'm not undermining Brad or his website in any way, just that nothing has been confirmed for sure. :yes:

Besides, I have yet to have my dreams come true — big fat anime WEDDING SCENE, to mirror the manga ending — so I'm fully on board for seeing what they can do. And with all the advances in technology over the past twenty years, it oughta be BEAUTIFUL to watch.

I agree with Danielle and Jackie. It would be GREAT to see this! I'm not so familiar with the musicals (so correct me if I'm wrong) but we only see the wedding at the end of the manga and in PGSM...which supposedly followed the manga closer and honestly, PGSM strayed a lot in that aspect as well. (Also if there is a scene like this, I can see screencaps going into Danielle's gallery on her SM website with that as well. ;) )

I'd like to see Sailor Cosmos in the anime, Sailor Phi and Chi, and see Princess Serenity/Neo-Queen Serenity with her silver hair like she had in the manga. I'd also love to see Neo-Queen Serenity's manga dress featured in the new  anime unlike the current one shown in the anime. Maybe all of the "Solar System Princesses" as well that we see in the manga.

My mine thing is I hope the uniforms are correct to the manga in this new series. That is my main thing. :)

But I'd also think it could be cool if they could touch the idea of more information on the Moon Kingdom? That wouldn't exactly follow the manga but hey....I'm being way to wishful. I'm just excited to see this happening. If some the old seiyuu come back, then great. If not, I'd be okay with that as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:26:23 AM by Rei Hino »
"A world  on fire."  - Daredevil

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
I don't feel threatened in the least about this new series and I don't know where you got the idea that I was hesitant to watch the new series.

I don't really want to comment on the rest of your post, because I find almost half of it contradicts your original post, but this line specifically really bothered me. Jackie go the idea that you were hesitant about the new series because your first post says so. It literally says, "I don't know how to take this" re: the rumor that the new series will be based more on the manga. You then followed that up by saying, "Personally, I treasure the anime/cartoon I grew up with and this gives me mixed feelings" and "I'm probably going to watch it anyway". If your feelings are mixed and you're probably going to watch it, then it stands to reason people would assume you were hesitant about watching the new show. And as far as you feeling "threatened" - that's the impression people get when you make statements regarding qualifications of fan-ness and a separation of different types of fans.

Anyway.

All I need is Eternal Sailor Uranus. If I finally get to see her be a total BAMF and use Space Turbulence, I'm a happy camper. What can I say? I'm easy.
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion