The AnimeFanlistings Network Message Board

Webdesign Survey!

Sarah · 34 · 2864

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
  • Describe Sarah\'s life with 3 wo
    • View Profile
    • http://sky-below.net
Hey hey hey everyone~ :x <33 Bringing you another survey today, this time related toooo.. Webdesign! Prompted by the small discussion we've had at the TAFL Survey thread, I thought it'd be nice to have some sort of Webdesign thread in general. <33 Again, lotsa questions to fill out because we all love memes. *nods* :heart:

00. How long have you been designing sites?

01. What was your first website? :P

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts? ♥
We all had to start pretty much from scratch, and looking back now, it's fun to see how one has improved, right? :D Feel free to skip this question if you can't get a hold of any old(er) layouts, though. <3 Also, fair warning, people might get blinded once I post mine. (cough)

03. ..and one of your latest layouts!
To compare with the above~ x3 Pimpage ahoy!

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! :help:
A certain structure of layouts or color choices maybe? Ehe~!

05. Any webtrends you really like?

06. Others you dislike?

07. Some of the elements you generally like using/seeing in layouts!
Vectors? Manga-coloring? Patterns? Gradients? Etc!

08. Your favorite color to work with?
...at this note, I just feel like mentioning that there should be more pink layouts out there. (cough)

09. Something you need to improve on?

10. When it comes down to it... do you prefer making the layout or coding it?

11. Name us some of your inspirations when designing!
Food? Magazines? Certain people? Something entirely different?

12. How long does it usually take you to design a layout?

13. What browser and screen resolution do you use?

14. Have you ever thought of going into the Webdesign branch job-wise?

15. Other graphics you enjoy making? (i.E. icons, wallpapers etc)

As always, feel free to add new questions as well! :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:11:32 PM by Sarah »
[color="#FF0000"]♥[/color] ~ [color="#fbacbc"]S[/color]arah [color="#000000"] | [/color] [color="#5face2"]sky[/color][color="#828282"]-below.net[/color]

love  [color="#000000"] is endless [/color]

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
00. How lang have you been designing sites?
Since 2001, LOL. Wow. >>;

01. What was your first website?
Uhm, if I remember correctly, it was for a BSSM/Gundam Wing crossover RPG, lulz. I actually built it on Geocities, using their drag-and-drop editor. What the heck was that thing called? Man, I kinda wish I remember what it was called - I'd totally time-machine that thing to see what it looked like and what the plot was.

... not really. >>; My old designs are terrible and embarassing and argh - make me want to pull my hair out. Luffy was actually the first design I did in Paint Shop Pro before Photoshop! and it is, unfortunately, still up. plz to be killing me for letting him stay like that

Uhm. *ponders* The lastest designs I've done aren't exactly open to public view just yet, so I guess it would be the Final Fantasy fanlisting (with three skins) and the Venture Brothers fanlisting which is huge and breaks people's screens. /fails

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.

I actually really love when people focus on typography in their layout, all the more so after my last class on the subject. Interesting type design can really make a layout that much more powerful. To be honest, some of my favorite layouts are ones that focus on type, over brushes/textures/effects.

06. Others you dislike?
I have a hard time with insanely bright colors as it is (cause my eyes are lamers), but when people put light text on a light background, I'm done. You could have written the most beautiful dedication ever, and I won't read it, because I can't physically stand those colors. If I have to wear sunglasses just to read your page, something is wrong. :help:

I love it when people color manga. Also, I'm a sucker for animation, since I over use it myself and poorly. Lately, I've been really fond of Lightbox too. :x

I really like working with blues, but [color=\"#0099CC\"]this shade[/color], specifically, is my favorite. :)

Everything? Navigation. :heart: It is my mortal enemy.

Making it, easily, LOL. I have the most retarded luck with coding sometimes. Ever had a stylesheet that refused to change, even after you deleted it from your server? I HAVE.

I watch horror movies when I'm designing, LOL. :P It's totally weird, but they help me concentrate and... I don't know how to explain it other than that. Lately, it's been The Strangers and The Mist that I put in, but that's really only because there hasn't been anything good out.

Forever.

Firefox on 1280 x whateveritis. I dunno, but it's huge - I still design primarily on 800 x 600 though, just because I know, at least at work, that several people use it, lulz.

S'what I'm in school for, yep. Interactive Media and Web Design.

Icons are definitely lots of fun to make. I really wish I could make those nifty skins for Winamp and all that, but seeing as I don't actually use Winamp and I don't have nearly enough patience, I never got around to learning it. But I'm truly in awe of people that I can put in that type of time and effort, definitely.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:52:14 AM by Marie »
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
*filling it out too, ehe~*

Since summer 2004, I believe. Got my first fanlisting almost a year later, in May 2005! <3

LOL, a fansite to the manga series Missile Happy. >>; It was v.v. lame and hosted on some freeserver. After that, I ran another general shoujo!series fansite and eventually even a graphics page. Come to think of it, I used to be on staff on quite a few graphic sites offering layouts etc. All of this during the one year after I had discovered HTML & PS and before I ran into TAFL, haha. Seems kinda unbelievable to me that back then someone wanted to use my layouts. People must have been desperate. >>;

LOL, here you go: My very first layout and another really old thing. >>;

The latest design would be the one for the boys, but that's not online yet, so.. hm. My current domain layout that went online not too long ago isn't actually that new either lala so I think it'd still be Sanji. I have so many layouts lying around that I made over the summer but never used (sigh) So still from this year are also Dreaming and Marie etc etc.

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls!
LOL, I'd say no, but I know I abuse the airbrush a lot so there are quite a few designs that turn out a little more dreamy than even intended, ahaha. I just really, really like soft & flowing colors. :)

Manga coloring! LOL, that's all I ever seem to do lately. >>; Plus yeah, animations = do want! <33

06. Others you dislike?
Hmm, this is actually tough. I was going to say something like, "Too small frames!" (like with iFrames and stuff), but even that I have seen people pull of quite nicely and I'm guilty of making the content too small too, lol so yeah. I actually also really like neon!layouts :help: I've once seen a strikingly red layout that others might have immediately shut down, but I somehow liked it, aha. I think the only thing that bothers me is when music automatically starts playing when I visit a site and there is no switch-off button or I can't find it. It drives me nuts. >>;

Patterns! It's something I suck at like woaaah, so it's always nice to see people use some pretty patterns in their layouts <3 <3

..you know, despite the fact I don't even need to think about this question since pink = best color ever, I don't even have that many pink layouts. *just noticed; ponders* I used to work with a lot of grey for some time though, and now I seem kinda stuck on orange. *fears for Hikaru~*

I need to stop killing 800x600 users, seriously, lol.

Making the layout. Always, always, always. /hates coding

I have certain songs that will inspire me again and again- seriously, I don't know how many layouts I've designed while listening to Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, LOL. /random~ Also, fashion magazines or mannequins in shop windows inspire me a lot too.

It really depends - I can finish layouts in one night or only a few hours if I have the right idea in my mind, but I've also spent weeks on single layouts cause they just wouldn't turn out right. (sigh)

Firefox and 1400 x 900, so pretty huge.

Not really, to be honest.  I have gotten paid for some of my works before (used to design pages for real estate companies etc even tho they sucked) and I can think of a few people who told me before to go into Webdesign, but.. personally, I don't think I'd be happy with it in the end. It's really just a creative outlet to me, and I don't think I work under pressure very well, haha. So it's nothing I'd consider for myself in the long-run.

Icons! Icons icons icons~ Apart from that, I used to do other stuff too (mainly in my early years, after I had just gotten into graphic design) but yeah.. nowadays it's just layouts and/or icons.

LOL, long post is long. PS:

[quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:P You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :x :heart: /shot
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:43:46 AM by Sarah »
[color="#FF0000"]♥[/color] ~ [color="#fbacbc"]S[/color]arah [color="#000000"] | [/color] [color="#5face2"]sky[/color][color="#828282"]-below.net[/color]

Offline Marie

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • That girl who wants to be a pirate
    • View Profile
    • http://get-fighted.net
[quote name='Sarah' post='270932' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM'][quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:help: You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :) :heart: /shot
[/quote]
Again with the food rambling. Just go eat something already! >>; Piratism was the only good part of that description, LOL. Goof.
Marie; Senior Staffer - Characters N-Z
A love pirate? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that?

get fighted & pirates & royal rebellion

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
[quote name='Marie' post='270933' date='Nov 20 2009, 07:20 PM'][quote name='Sarah' post='270932' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM'][quote name='Marie' post='270928' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:43 PM']04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"?
LOL, not at all.[/quote]
:help: You know I'd call it the, "ZOMG-CANDY! With lots of pirate!ism and pink" style. :) :heart: /shot
[/quote]
Again with the food rambling. Just go eat something already! >>; Piratism was the only good part of that description, LOL. Goof.
[/quote]
..it's not just food rambling. It's very profound associations that may or may not have to do with food candy. Difference. I figured. >>; Always the right word to appease you. /runs <3!

Offline Emcy

• Formally known as Emcy from peti
    • View Profile
    • http://cuite.org/
00. How long have you been designing sites? For quite a while actually. Probably close to a decade. Maybe a couple years shy. I've always been a huge nerd. And I self taught myself HTMl and CSS and whatever else so it was all a slow build up! =)

01. What was your first website? ohmy.gif First website? Ohh, snap, that was something on Freewebs.com .... uhh .... can't remember but I know I had to use a template at first and then just coded the content until i got more of a hang on it and started to use the site without templates. I remember being so proud of myself the first time I didn't use a template~

We all had to start pretty much from scratch, and looking back now, it's fun to see how one has improved, right? biggrin.gif Feel free to skip this question if you can't get a hold of any old(er) layouts, though. <3 Also, fair warning, people might get blinded once I post mine. (cough)
Unfortunately, I don't have one available. Though I wish I did. I did everything on MS Paint on my ol' Windows 98 computer~ And because I only has Paint for so long, I've gotten really, really good at making decent looking graphics with it. So yes, they were pitiful looking but compared to most of my layouts nowadays, I took more time on those then these in order to ensure people wouldn't write them off by their "obvious" Paint creations. When I got done with 'em, they didn't look too painty. More like amateur on a Photoshop program. I'm still proud of my old ones~

To compare with the above~ x3 Pimpage ahoy!
Lavi/Allen Walker, my brand new fl.

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! wub.gif
A certain structure of layouts or color choices maybe? Ehe~!
I don't think so actually. I mean, I always try and make brand new layouts for all of my FLs and thus I try not to stick to a certain look or picture or coding or texture or whatever else. The only thing common between a good portion of my fanlistings is how I link stuff. Older ones are linked with pixels, newer ones have this roll-over menu that I've grown to love. I know my index/home pages usually always look the same but that's just because I have nothing else to usually put on it, haha.

05. Any webtrends you really like? Uhh ... no? I can't even think of any webtrends, haha.

06. Others you dislike? Same answer =P

Vectors? Manga-coloring? Patterns? Gradients? Etc!
I like using patterns for backgrounds. I don't know why but I think I just like that it gives layouts a more ... classic look. And I adore using manga pictures in layouts. To be, they always look prettier then anything the anime could come out with.

...at this note, I just feel like mentioning that there should be more pink layouts out there. (cough)
I ... don't actually have a favorite colour. Again, I try and use all sorts of things in my layouts and thus, they're never a common color. Though ... I don't think I have any purple layouts .... I think that is the one- oh, wait, nevermind. Natsuki Takaya used to be purple before the layout change, haha. I've used all colours at least once.

09. Something you need to improve on? Blending pictures into the background. I love layouts that do that but I can never seem to figure out how to fade the edges and still make it look nice =/ Oh well, with time and lots of practice, I know I'll get it!! =)

10. When it comes down to it... do you prefer making the layout or coding it? Coding it. I mean, the layout is what people see when they look at websites so it's important but for me, I love the coding, the behind the scenes that nobody sees. I find it just so wonderful to toss everything onto the webpage and then spend the next hour making sure everything from the positioning to the font family are fitting.

Hmm, well no particular people or anything but my inspiration is simply those certain websites where I'll go on and immediately, my breath is taken away by how beautiful the graphics are how complex the coding must be for everything to be where it is. I aim to be able to do that to my fellow nerds one day~

12. How long does it usually take you to design a layout? If I'm a huge fan of the subject and am being really stubborn? A couple hours. I might make part of it one day and then go back and do the rest the next, just to ensure I don't get lazy or something and then wind up regretting rushing something later. It's usually the codes that take me longer cause then I have to search for good pictures and god through making each individual button.

13. What browser and screen resolution do you use? I use Mozilla Firefox (<3) with the resolution of 1280 x 1024 =3

14. Have you ever thought of going into the Webdesign branch job-wise? Thought of it, yes, but after much much thinking, I decided that I'd much prefer to keep it as a pastime. I'd be terrified of it becoming a "job" and then me not wanting to do it anymore. I love this creative outlet too much to let it have such a fate.

15. Other graphics you enjoy making? (i.E. icons, wallpapers etc) I like making bases for my base collective. Other then that, I love making banners and, well, now that I'm practicing on it and getting better, i enjoy making icons too =)

Offline Wendy

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://jukkou.net
00. How lang have you been designing sites?
Since late 2004! It was a really hard time at home actually and I thought I wasn't going to be able to keep doing it but I'm still here!!! x3

My first site was a CCS fansite but the first one that actually got visitors and stuff was my Inuyasha fansite, thanks to it I met some really dear people that led me here :3!

02. Wanna show us one of your earliest layouts?

OH LOL so horrible and so ancient stuff  :heart: I think I might have an old one somewhere so I'll update this then xD!

Hmm the latest would be my beloved Albi  :x

People say I do but I've never really known what that is xD! I'm trying to make them simple and neat since that's the kind I like most :3!

I like the whole web 2.0  feel since it's so clean, overall I love clean and organized layouts, textures (but not abuse-there's a difference between using a lot and well and just throwing them everywhere and badly >>;;)

06. Others you dislike?
I agree with Marie with the blinding colors thing and the soft font against a light background and tiny font or hard to read font, they kill my already tired eyes @_@, and music players in the site :P they scare the life out of me!!!  

Manga-coloring all the way, some people do it so wonderfully *__* and of course all those fancy javascript effects some of you guys use for content and stuff :x!  

Hmmm well I've had my periods xD! There was a time I only used gray or tan or white, I love using white backgrounds and due to my crazy laptop screen I'm trying to avoid dark colors (though I love chocolate brown ;;); I guess I love earthy tones and clean tones the most xD!

The little details. Like the headers, details in the content like colors, images, etc, etc. I always feel my layouts look empty and plain in that department.  :help:

I love making the layout more than coding. The reason is because sometimes when I code the layout I don't like it anymore xD, I realize it doesn't work so well coded lol. But lately I have been liking the coding part more since I understand things better. :)

I like looking at inspiration galleries (galleries with website screencaps) and design magazines like Smashing Magazine (so awesome), looking at photographs helps a lot too and cute brushes and textures. I also like visiting related fanlistings to see if they have a common pattern and follow it (mostly for character fanlistings) so they match nicely :P

Depends on how inspiration treats me: if it's kind to me it could take a night or a couple of days; if it's being evil and mean 8( a week or more orz.

I use Mozilla and Google Chrome, IE has been dead to me since 4 years ago and I only use it when necessary (in other words only when the other 2 die or when someone tells me something is wrong in it) with 1280x800 resolution (I think that's it LOL)

It was my dream job and I actually got to do it for a year until the company decided to downsize and let all of us go 8( but I still do it as a freelance  :D

I love making icons, wallpapers only when someone asks me for one since apparently I make them better for other people than myself >>;;
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:43:48 PM by Wendy »
Wendy ~ Series (Full)

| | | | ❺[/

Offline Espo

• View Profile
    • http://fractured-memories.net/
Well I made my first html layout six months after budging my way into the online world (that's not bad), so that would beee about October 2004. I basically taught myself html and css. So that means I've been designing sites for five years now. Good lord. :wub:

Espo Girl's Shrine which was opened on May 29th 2004. Haha uncreative :lol:. It was first built on freewebs page builder until I started using html pre-made layouts later on in the year, and then eventually started making my own layouts for it. It was basically a shrine with some (bad bad bad bad) graphics and some random blather about mostly CLAMP manga and Tokyo Mew Mew.

I shiver when I see them. They look so horrific. But in a way it makes me proud in the sense that I actually managed to do it and it's actually rather scary, in a way, when you first plunge into making a layout and at first have no idea how things go, but you actually come out with something useable. :D And er, well, I was browsing round the interwebs a few weeks ago and stumbled across this, which is either the second or third layout for ye-old blog, which would probably be in my first five layouts ever. AHAHAHA IT'S SHOCKING. SHOCKING. /shivers

Riiko is the latest. :)

I don't think I do. I'd say I like using divs too much for my own good, though. :lol: When I was younger I used to be in love with iframes, now, it's divs. As for layouts and layout designing, not really. I tend to just try and create things. Though lately I've been overusing a checkers brush in my layouts, but that's only because it looks nice. :x

Umm.. a while back when we all went through the trend of naming networks (ie, The Lonely Princess Network), or whatever. :D Manga colouring, too, I'm guilty of following this one, but it's so fun and rather cool when things come out well - I've been doing it on and off for probably a year and a bit when I have the opportunity.

06. Others you dislike?
As some have said, music players on sites that start up automatically and have no turn off button so you have to listen to it. Gahhhh.

Manga colouring! As for anything else... lol, idk, as long as a layout turns out nice, I'm not really fussed. I can like a really complex, complicated, javascript and everything layout and also some very simple ones equally at the same time.

Brown. Or, well, my head tells me that, since I went through a period of brown/earthy/chocolate brown/light brown layouts and I loved them all. Basically I can always make something with a brown layout. Tends to be the same for dark purples and possibly some other colours as well. Sometimes I try and make things in colours like, say, green, which can be either a disaster or not.

Ehhhh... making my layouts less empty. Simple is good but sometimes it's too simple. :/

.... neither has a preference. It depends on what layout. Sometimes I have the most ulmighty block that will not go away and I'm literally pulling my hair out. But sometimes coding is daunting, too. So I'm on the fence for this one.

Probably music. I like listening to music when I make layouts, especially if the song relates to the subject I'm designing for. For example, for Megumi, I was listening to Miracle by Paramore, since it really does relate to him and that inspired me. Most of the time when it comes to making a layout though, I just let my mind roll over it until it eventually comes up with something and then I start trying to design.

Depends. I can make something in a couple of days or it can take weeks, when I just come back and change opacity of certain layers every other day. I've also gotten into the habit lately of making something, not looking at it for a few hours, then coming back to it to see if I still like it. That's an important factor, imo.

Firefox, with Flock in reserve (it is amazing for uploading icons, hence why I have it), and IE when times call for it. My laptop's resolution is 1366x768, which seems to be an uncommon size at any rate. Up until a few months ago I was still on 1024x768 and didn't want to budge, haha. I still design for best use in probably 800x600-1024x768, though.

Yes, then abandoned it. I was thinking about it in high school and went on work experience in a web design company. I was treated rather bad, since they didn't get the fact a fifteen year old would really know nothing about the industry, so put me off web design for a few years. :( It wasn't only that, but the fact you have to adjust your designs to appeal to a customer. I like designing what I like and what I think looks good, not having to adjust it to make it look horrific just because that's how the customer wants it.. so it's not really for me. I guess I kind of am still aiming for a career in something similar, though, as I want to go into the media industry, possibly as an editor, scriptwriter, etc.

OMIGOD, I LOVE ICONS. I cannot express how much I love making icons. It mainly started out as a small, side hobby but I actually think it's helped improve my layout making skills (though hindered them for a while since, er, icons have restrictions on how big, whereas the layout takes up the whole screen, so sometimes it caused problems...), in making things brighter and more appealing and such. :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:45:38 PM by Espo »
fractured | keyofdestiny | florete | collective

plugging: [url="http://brave.f

Offline Kibou

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://c-minor.org
I opened my first site 14th March 2004. I always remember that date for some reason.

It was a CardCaptor Sakura/CardCaptors fansite called Sakura & Tomoyo's Star (STS for short). It was pretty shallow and empty in terms of content. I remember I had to move it around a lot too because I had such bad luck with hosts who tended to disappear/close their sites.

My very first layout ever is here. The quality isn't that great but you can still see the crappy design alright >.>

I've been working on a few that are still on my computer but the most recently uploaded is Feel the Fate, Haine's fanlisting. This is the first time I'm plugging Haine heh :lol:

I think so. I'm not sure how to articulate it though. I like to use pastel colours and shapes a lot. I try and go for 'clean' looks, if that makes sense.

Manga colouring! It really opens up possibilities because there are just so many more images to work with. That's about it for me, I think. I don't tend to like 'trends' all that much. I'm more for originality :3

06. Others you dislike?
A lot. Mini-rant oncoming:

1. Huge layouts that aren't well designed and take forever to load. This is a huge peeve of mine. I can tolerate large layouts if they're pretty because it's worth waiting for. Usually, the largeness is an important aspect of those layouts. However, I find it disappointing when my computer spends ages loading a huge graphic and all I get is an image that's usually either a) hardly edited at all or b ) brush & texture overloaded.

2. ... which brings me to my next point. Brush/texture/image overload. I very rarely like the whole 'messy' style which seems to be really trendy lately. Some people can pull it off really well, but for the most part, not my thing.

3. Bright colours that hurt my eyes. I'll never understand how people can use bright red as a background colour >.> The monitor I use to browse sites is unusually bright so maybe that contributes to this peeve as well.

Most of the time, I'll just close sites that annoy me too much. But sometimes I'm forced to browse these sites anyway because of staffing duties.

Ummm...I can't actually think of something specific that I'd always like XD The thing is, I tend to think it's how people use elements that's more important rather than what elements they are using.

Grey! :wub: I used to work with grey a lot more than I do now but in most (possibly all) of my layouts will use some grey :3

Non-manga layouts. I get really stuck if I have to work with anime or RL images. I'm thinking I probably just need more practise.

Designing definitely. However, playing with CSS is also fun! :lol:

Other people's sites. Not in a 'copy' sort of way. But if I saw a gorgeous layout on another site, I have the urge to work on my own sites and to improve.

I like to do the photoshopping in one sitting. Then the coding in another sitting. Sometimes the process can drag on a bit depending on how complicated the layout is but generally, I'm done within a week or so.

Firefox & Chrome. 1200 x 720.

Nope. I did a bit of work experience at a webdesign company but that was just for fun more than anything else. I've never considered it as a career. The amount of money webdesigners earn does have a bit to do with it :S (at least, here in NZ anyway). Also, I don't think I'd enjoy designing professionally for other people. I like to keep webdesign personal to me.

15. Other graphics you enjoy making?
Icons are tedious - I tend to just make simple ones. Wallpapers, I loathe. So to answer the question: no XD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:42:01 PM by Kibou »

Offline Jackie

• TAFL Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://psyche.nu/
I've been making websites since 1996, but I really only began "designing" in 2000 or 2001, I think.  Prior to that, I focused on written content, and I got other people to design layouts for me.

My Sailor Moon website.  It's still online (though static and needing a massive overhaul that I can't be bothered with).  Actually, it turned 13 this year.  The layout was designed by my friend. :]  *actually still really loves the layout, haha*

Uh... not really, lol.  My first website was on Geocities, and I used their HTML editor because I didn't know HTML then.  This was even before frames were invented, I think, or maybe a little after they came out.  *seems to remember frames being a Big Deal when Netscape Navigator started to support them*  Anyway, my "layouts" were simple pages with pictures, lines, and freebie icons (like arrows and stuff) on them.

Fade to Black at TAFL, Locke Cole over at TFL.  They're both really simple...

No, unfortunately.  Though I tend to overuse textures to compensate for my ineptitude with brushes :/ :D  For a loooong time, most of my layouts were centered "box" frames (or div layers), but I've tried to move away from that.  I'll sometimes still go back to that by default, but I try to avoid it. >>;

Hmm. Not that I can name offhand. :wub:

06. Others you dislike?
- Text that's almost the same color as backgrounds.
- The Javascript "back" and "forward" links that were mentioned in the TAFL survey thread.
- Layouts that are over 200kb.
- I also don't get people "naming" their networks, but I'm strange. <3

I think people who can vector are amazing.  And manga colorings are often fun.  *can't color manga, so is jealous of people who can*  That said, I don't necessarily go "omg" whenever I see people using them in layouts, just generally :D  There's not anything I particularly like to see in layouts, I guess.  *is pretty easily impressed*

I feel like I have too many red layouts.  But I probably abuse all colors about equally! :D  Monochrome layouts make everything much easier, but mine usually turn out boring. >_>;;

Everything!

Coding is something I usually can do without much pain, so I tend to prefer this part of it :lol:  (Though sometimes I will happily shoot things because I can't figure out how to code something. :lol:)  Designing the layouts is the hardest part for me.

None, really. :|  I sometimes have ideas of what I want to do, but they rarely come out the way I imagined them in my head.  Also, I've drawn lots of designs on paper that tend not to work well when I can't find pictures that suit the designs. ;_;

Hours. >>;;  Even things that look RIDICULOUSLY simple are probably things I spent hours on.  When people say they put together a layout in an hour, I'm jealous :x

Firefox and 1024×768.  However, I still design for 800x600. :(

Nope.  *has no talent for it*  I've designed sites for people as favors, but that's about it.  I'd never do it professionally. :]

Icons sometimes. :D I can't do wallpapers - they're too big, too much space to fill up.  Icons are much smaller, easier to do. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:01:44 PM by Jackie »
Jackie - Senior Staffer - Characters 0-M & N-Z - Movies/OVAs - General
The Fluffy Squirrel

Offline Elysa

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
    • http://nymphae.net
This is hard, I can't really remember LOL I think I first started webdesign in 2000/2001? But it was still mostly drag&drop, so it doesn't really count. I started designing websites with HTML in 2002.

My first website was build on Homestead, using their drag and drop function. I made it because everyone I met online had one XD;

Unfortunately, I don't have any screencaps prior to 2004.. The oldest one I have is this one, from June 2004!

My newest layout would be this one, which I finished earlier this month.

I don't think I have a style, though lately my layouts tend to be fairly simple~

Hmm.. nothing that really comes to mind, though I like seeing simple & clean layouts. I also had no idea manga coloring was a trend :wub:

06. Others you dislike?
Music on sites that start as soon as the page finishes loading. I always listen to my own music, so I find it kind of annoying. Also agreeing with the points Kibou mentioned. With regards to huge layouts, I'm also kind of put off by those that somehow are just a bit too big for the 1024x768 resolution, so I have to scroll horizontally to see the menu or something. I don't mind layouts that are obviously horizontal layouts, but when they're only like, 20px off or so, I wish they'd had made it a little smaller so it'd fit without having to scroll ^^;

I like using patterns & gradients because they can make layouts look less empty or bland. I don't have a preference for reoccuring elements in layouts though, because some elements that look great in one layout, might not work well with another.

I don't have a favorite color to work with, I usually try to use colors I haven't used in a while, a color that goes well with the image I'm working on or just randomly pick a color I think will look nice.

Fonts & typography. I sometimes have a type of font in mind for layouts, but I never have something fitting in my collection, so I tend to use the same fonts over and over again. Also, filling up white spaces in layouts and working with images that are not related to anime/manga.

I actually really like coding layouts! It can be a real pain when I don't know how to code a certain thing, but it's always a challenge to try out new things and I guess that's what makes it fun for me. I like designing when I have an idea of how I want the layout to look, but almost always, I'll try to design something that I know how to code once I finish it.

I don't think I get inspired by anything. I mean, I do look at other people's layouts, but in the end, I usually just open up an image and experiment for a result. I do always listen to music though, because otherwise it's too quiet :lol:

Hmm.. I tend to design a layout in one go, so if I can (like during weekends or vacations), I'll design until the early mornings XD; Most of the time it takes me longer to come up with a design itself than actually designing it. I don't think I've taken more than a week, max.

Firefox and a 1024x768 resolution. I tend to start layouts on a 700x500 canvas, in the hopes it will also fit on a 800x600 resolution (atleast in width).

Not really. I've thought it would be nice to do it as a freelance job or to help out people I know, but I don't think I'd ever get it as my real job. I'm way too inexperienced for that, plus I don't think I can pull off the professional look XD

Lately I haven't made anything aside from layouts, but I used to really like making icons and wallpapers. I even thought about making a wallpaper site, but I don't know if I have the time/creativity for that. I also like coloring random manga scans, though I don't do it that often anymore. It gave me an excuse to practice shading, even though I still suck at it since I do it on feeling. Also, when I had a graphics site, I also made all kinds of signs, like enter or guestbook signs LOL.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:38:37 AM by Chibi-chan »
Elysa :: Series (F/U/C)

« nymphae.net | fan of »

Offline Sarah

• TAFL Staff Alumni
    • View Profile
/should probably think of new questions but is lazy lala

/spams instead (cough) xDD :wub:

[quote name='Kibou' post='270973' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:32 AM']09. Something you need to improve on?
Non-manga layouts. I get really stuck if I have to work with anime or RL images. I'm thinking I probably just need more practise.[/quote]
;fhsjf I so can relate to this :lol: I really fail at layouts with anything other than anime/manga. *sigh* I tried my hand on Yamapi before but lol, the layout didn't stay online for too long. >>; /fails

[quote name='Chibi-chan' post='270992' date='Nov 21 2009, 04:26 PM']15. Other graphics you enjoy making?
Lately I haven't made anything aside from layouts, but I used to really like making icons and wallpapers. I even thought about making a wallpaper site, but I don't know if I have the time/creativity for that. I also like coloring random manga scans, though I don't do it that often anymore. It gave me an excuse to practice shading, even though I still suck at it since I do it on feeling. Also, when I had a graphics site, I also made all kinds of signs, like enter or guestbook signs LOL.[/quote]
LOL ZOMG CHIP. I used to make those guestbook/enter/offline/hiatus signs too xDD Maybe that's why my domain has had so many of them in the past, too. >>; I could make a whole layout archive with just coming soon banners. /shot Man, those were times though~  Maybe I even still have some of those old GB!signs, haha. I wonder what happened to those guestbooks in general though, I hardly see domain owners use them anymore. :lol:

Offline Hakka

• Manga. Comics. Slash & yaoi.
    • View Profile
    • http://snakes-and-dragons.org
Since 2004. My first one ever was for a fanlisting.

01. What was your first website? :D
My Dolph Lundgren fanlisting (the same above). A simply table with color bg and a non-modified image as header.

The oldest one I can have in my hand is the first version of my previous collective, here (sorry, I can't link the image because of hotlinking protection!)

This one.

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! :(
Actually... no. If you look my latest fl you see there is a totally different hand. ._.
The only particulars you can find in all my layouts are the H1 titles, the stats background and the presence of footer - on all of these I spend more than than on other parts of the graphic.  :wub:

Those lays with texture as background, with little images and lot of brushes. Seems an abused style, in these times.  :D

06. Others you dislike?
Nothing comes up in my mind. Maybe those with absurd colours combinations?
Oh, the music player, me too!

Vectors if well used *coff Shaza coff*

None particulary. :D

All! From using brushes to coding (I don't use divs :) )

Actually coding, because it takes me less time. Making layouts drain me, because I' m such anal.  :lol:

I really try to get ispirations from some of my fave fanlistings/web designers, but I always end up making my own style.

12. How long does it usually take you to design a layout
Oh my! Can I just skip to the next question? :x
I need almost a month, because I like set up the raw lay, then adding bits by bits every once in a while, and sometimes I leave a layout there for over a week without opening the file!  :lol:

1024x768. I use Firefox 3.5. But, as others, I design for 800x600 (I stay for 750 width)

Noo! I wouldn't be suited! I'm suuuch a looser as webdesigning! And the little html/css I know I learned by myself: I couldn't be able to do this as work!

Codes does count?  :/
I'm not good at making stunning wallpapers or icons. :/

[quote name='Sarah' post='271015' date='Nov 21 2009, 11:02 PM'][quote name='Kibou' post='270973' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:32 AM']09. Something you need to improve on?
Non-manga layouts. I get really stuck if I have to work with anime or RL images. I'm thinking I probably just need more practise.[/quote]
;fhsjf I so can relate to this :D I really fail at layouts with anything other than anime/manga. *sigh* I tried my hand on Yamapi before but lol, the layout didn't stay online for too long. >>; /fails[/quote]
I'm the exact contrary: I fail with manga related. -.-
\"Give Sasuke back! He doesn\'t belong to you!\" - but to me...

Scorpion in disguise - Beware of the sting!
Dux

~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~ ~¤~

Co

Offline Yamila

• View Profile
    • http://cielo-azul.org/
Since 2003/2004 :3

01. What was your first website? ohmy.gif
LOL, as my email name reads, it was Miau Paradise xDD! Sadly I lost everything with hard drive crashes and the recent Geocities closure ;__;

Again, I lost everything :x you wouldn't want to see them though >>;;;

I'm keeping some for pimpage later so... Daybreak's Bell xDD!

04. Do you think you have some sort of "style"? If yes, details pls! wub.gif
I've been told I have one, but eeehhh never knew which it was o_o;;; well, nearly 1/3 of my lays include a sky, so there you have something... >_>;

Webtrends? o-o I don't pay attention to those things, but I like vintage stuff XD (?)

06. Others you dislike?
Blinding colors :( I don't mind the music player coz I've been without audio for months LMAO

Coloring and good use of text & textures!!! x3 Also animations and rollovers *___*
... also skies >x>

All of them xDD <- obvious answer

Working with grayscales, making my css prettier and more interesting, working with pictures of real people and cartoons, and learning more about scripts, php and databases. x___x

MAKING IT. :wub: :lol: :lol: but coding is big fun, too :3

Awesome domains, period. I am always looking for great designs that make me think "I'm gonna do something this awesome"... if only I could ever achieve that OTL also browsing around dA and comms like texturize helps tons x3

The period allowed by the rules. Sometimes even longer.

... yes I suck OTL

Firefox 3.0.15, and one of the weirdest resolutions ever: 1360x768 8D I always design for 800x600 and check if stuff works in IE and Opera though.

I actually did think of that in the past, but in the end, I decided to keep webdesigning as my hobby, something I can do to relax and forget about RL and all :3 I can't see myself creating sites for something that I'm not interested in T__T

Icons :3 I've been told I'm good with wallies, but I prefer the 100x100 goodness xDDD;;;
yamila · Latest: Jojo[color=#0

Offline Mitzrael

• TAFL Senior Staff
  • ^ just your average ninja :D
    • View Profile
    • http://rainawhile.net
My memory sucks so bad as it is ugh... I'll have to say late 2002 - beginnings of 2003. I started before starting my ff.net account so yeah~ LOL; fanlistings came in pretty late after that o:

My very first experience was nothing html related xD; but an MSN comm (OMG!can you believe it? D:) which I think is still up but I have no idea how to log in or how it was called anyway LOL;. I then moved to the no longer existent Geocities, Miarroba, Galeoncom and had a personal blog at Pitas (had two of those actually)... I pretty much spammed the web back in the days  :(

Oh man, I had to look into an endless pile of backups for this LOL; but while I'm 99.99% sure I had a backup of my Pitas days and the likes I only managed to find my first domain earliest layout v1, it jumped right to v9 after that and the so called graphics shop I staffed along two other friends years ago (screencap) amazingly, I still have most of the layouts zipped from that  :x.

Manga doesn't count some of you knows why :D so I'll lamely say Eyes Rutherford :3 // which reminds me I have some stuff to pimp soonish  :)

Mmm... dunno? sometimes it's just a one-shot style, sometimes I apply the same structure/concept on more than one layout, I like to keep experimenting with new techniques, brushes and patterns. One major trait if I, indeed, have a style would be the use of div layers for almost EVERYTHING lol; + CSS obviously.

Web 2.0, but I never truly looked forward achieving a layout following that. I'm more into wannamakecleanCSS stuff even if I fail epically when my lazyness takes over LOL.

06. Others you dislike?
Use of liquid divs on sites that have 1-2 sentences thus making the whole pretty empty content extends all over the place x: it's annoying to say the least since your eyes have to go from the far left side to the right side all over the screen to read TWO lines. ugh... but well, to each of use our way :/

Everything really from vector to coloring, etc... The only thing I'm picky about is over-use, I mean >> it's okay if the focus of the design is, lets say vector but vectors all over the place just because most of the time just make the 'magic' disappear.

Although I love gray tones I suck at them xD; so either warm shades or cold tones, I often turn towards warm ones it adds to the spark  :lol:

Definitely vectoring. PHP/SQL could use some work as well.

I'm gonna be weird and say it's a tie right now. Coding come in quite easily nowadays since I know how everything should be coded to have the layout work the way I want, there are still exceptions though like Manga. Making the layout requires a little bit of creativity since I have to spend hours if not days looking for the pic I think could work with the idea I have in mind or the other way around.

Because of work >>u I've have some bursts of inspiration coming out of advertising (awful I tell you) but it usually just depends on the picture I'm using and the music I'm listening to at that moment LOL;

3 hours to 3 weeks...aprox? XD;

Firefox, Opera and IE. Although I almost never use IE anylonger since I can switch rendering engines (example: to IE) on Firefox 8D quite useful!
Laptop:1280x800 // Desktop: 1400x900

Only as an occasional freelance thing, I don't think I'm enough well-versed in Webdesign to dedicate myself to it and, it's something I basically enjoy because nobody is telling me what to do or worst, how to do it LOL Seriously I have enough of that at work with people and their inputs that make drag over THREE weeks a simple poster design  :lol: that just takes off the fun after a week...  :wub:

Some iconing here and there, FST covers (actually the whole FST deal xD;) and, if that counts as graphics, fanart (even if it's been aged since I last draw some/anything lol)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:33:09 PM by Mitzrael »
ソニア!ninja ^/_\^ | Items/Locations + Manga-ka & Directors + Music and Songs + Rivalries
Your daily dose of coffee in a pill [ rain awhile ]